Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Help setting up a new Hoyt Carbon Element or Matrix (arrows, sights, rest, broadheads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Re: Help setting up a new Hoyt Carbon Element or Matrix (arrows, sights, rest, broadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I'm shooting about 450 grains at about 300 fps or less and can get to 100 yards but then my first pin is at 40 yards and the top inside of the sight ring is 30 yards. Some part of the equation is how you fletch the arrows.
Oh, no doubt you can get out to 100yds. I love shooting field archery courses, and love the longer distance targets. Here in NorCal there are a few really great field courses with great ranges to practice out to 80 yds or more...but my question is ethics regarding taking the 100 yard shot. Since an arrow will lose alot of KE out past 50 yards, it's ability to accurately make a kill shot is severely compromised.

Not to mention that it is very hard to accurately place the pin on the vitals out that far without a scope. Now with a 6x scope and my 37" ATA target bow...I feel very confident that I will hit the x-ring time and time again. But a hunting set-up doesn't have that luxury (usually). Using a scope while hunting can be disorienting. When shooting paper, it's a matter of muscle memory.

I have always held to the ethos that 45 yds and in is a safe range...but to each his own, and if you have the skill to make that shot, then I say go for it! People who I trust and who are way smarter than me and much better with a bow drilled it into me that you just don't want to chance smacking that buck in the mouth or guts instead of the lungs out past that. My $.02, and now I'll shut up.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help setting up a new Hoyt Carbon Element or Matrix (arrows, sights, rest, broadh

Thanks for the feedback guys. While the 100 yards + will be reserved for targets, I still like to have a setup capable of such tasks. You never know when you might see a coyote or need a follow up shot on a wounded animal. Plus its fun to try and out shoot your buddies at the ranch. As far as animals, every since my first wounded doe at 33 yards when I began, I will not take a shot I'm not confident in at big game. Varmints are another story. I have since not missed a big game animal (knock on wood), but have passed animals on many occasions inside the 60 yard range even when not feeling comfortable. My last half a dozen kills were (black bear 41, elk 35, elk 78, whitetail 08, bobcat 72 & hog 45). With today's bows, the energy is not the problem. I do not recommend that anyone, myself included, should take any shot unless you feel 100% confident in making, nor taking one at longer ranges unless the animal is perfectly still, feeding and or completely unaware of your presence (again, with the exception to varmints such as quail, turkey or deer killers).

Has anyone tried the new Hoyt dropaway rests? I forget the exact name of them.

Also, are there any 7-10 pin sights out there with greater than a 2" gap from top to bottom pin, other than the trophy taker 10 pin?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Well put HF!

You should check out this Sword Centurion .010 Sight, Right Hand, Black - Sights : Sword : Bowhunters International, Bowhunters Supply Store, Archery Supplies, Archery Equipment, Bowhunting Supplies

The Hoyt rests are very overpriced, and people seem to not like them...I've never shot them, but the QAD rests (which make the Hoyt rests) are cheaper and exactly the same. The Ripcord is a nice rest, if you like it, keep it. I found getting the timing on the Ripcord to be difficult.