Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

First timer wants to Bow hunt in CO???????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM

everybody has given you a lot of good info. I have hunted co. 5 times for elk 3 with rifle 1 with bow 1 muzzleloader the only time I got one was with a bow that trip we had a base camp trailer and backpacked about 3 miles into the south san juan wilderness I saw about 50 or 60 elk a day for 7 days I missed a 300 + bull on the 4 day 3 days latter shot a cow at 50 yrds I had a deer tag so kept hunting and the 2 guys with me over the next 4 days we saw 3 elk I said all this to get this point across watch the moon the bow season is long enough plan your trip so the moon will be up during hunting hours where we parked our trailer there were camps every 200yrds 10 days in the wilderness I saw 3 people in one camp and they were fishing so I am also a beliver in getting back there hope this helps
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah that puts me at ease a little more. I wasn't really knowing what to expect as far as other hunters. I'm planning on getting as many maps as possible. Any maps that you guys think I have to have.
Thanks again
Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 PM

A set of USGS topo maps of the area you plan to hunt can be valuable as to finding bottlenecks and saddles as well as water holes. Also current aerial maps are good at showing timber and access points. Study your area well. Nothing like hiking several miles to find that you are closer to improved roads than when you left camp.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I like the National Geographic "Trails illustrated" maps, if they're available for the area you want to hunt.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

Well, we've decided on an unlimited hunt. So we can pick any unit that isn't limited. There are some that look interesting. I was thinking if we can't get very far back with the trailer, I might backpack the rest of the way if there seems to be a lot of hunters.

Do any of you have experiance with motorola or midland walkie talkies, and do they work well in the mts. If so, which ones do you recomend. I want to take walkie talkies because I still want to be able to keep in touch with the guys incase someone gets an elk or incase of emergency. I know the Garmin Rhino's have built in walkies but I don't think I can talk the rest of the guys into paying that much for one. Speaking of that, will the rhino's all be able to speak with eachother even if we have different models. This is probably a stupid question but how do cell phones work out there. Probably terrible? Just a thought.

Hey by the way thanks for the rolaids tip. I'll have to add that to my growing list of things to bring. Anyone else have any altitude sickness remedies?

Well, thanks again for all the helpful info. I'm sure I'll have more questions for ya.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM

The 110, 120, 130, and the new ones will communicate with each other as well as the motorola and other walkie talkies. Make sure you are on the same channel and the same or no blocker. Also if you are taking a Rhino pick up some rechargeable batteries and a dc charger for your vehicle. These things go through a set of batteries every 18 or 20 hours of use.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM

You may already have it but here is the link to the Colorado Division of Wildlife website hunting home page.
Hunting Home - Colorado Division of Wildlife