Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Fiber Optic sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member
Fiber Optic sights

I have broken another sight on my bow and am frustrated beyond belief. This is the 2nd sight, that while hog hunting, I have managed to brake off the fibers going to my pins. I have no idea how this happens as I try to be careful.

I am planning to hunt Saturday so I was in a bind for a sight. I found a TR Flatliner on clearance for $25. This is the 5 pin black sight with the vertical in line pins. Have no experience with this type of sight but I am going to give it a try. I got it installed last night and in the rain I shot a couple of arrows and it is close at 20. I am hoping to get some time this afternoon to tweak it in out to at least 40yds.

Are any of you using this sight or a comparable one? If so let me know what you think. I really like the vertical pins, it is kind of like looking through a rifle scope. I may have to go back to my old sight for the hunting on Saturday and make due.

Unread 03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
Re: Fiber Optic sights

It's a terrific sight, and you got a smokin' deal on it. It is very easy to sight in, as it is tool-less, and infinitely adjustable. You should be able to have it dialed in very quickly. The vertical pin system is the best system imo.

Hammer Bullets
Advanced Technology
Simply Better

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Fiber Optic sights

Man, I really like this sight. The pins are bright but not to bright. It was so easy to tweak in and I am getting really good groups. I am right on out to 40 and have no problem taking a 40 yd shot on a pig if I have a clear shooitng lane and that is a big IF. I had no problems this past wekend seeing the pins. It was heavily overcast and the sun didn't make an appearance all day.

Overall, I would say this is a pretty good hunting sight. The pins are bright, relatively well protected and very easy to set. I can see that there will be a problem trying to shoot spots as the pins cover them up from 30yds on out. The red pin for ~40 is nice as it separates the short pins from your long pins. Might not be that big of a deal for some but I think it is a nice feature.

I will get a different sight for shooting spots but this sight will work great for hunting and any 3D targets. For the money I spent on this sight and the fact that I was in a bind I think I did very well and will probably continue to use it on my hunting bow. I would even go so far as to say that if you needed a sight I would recommend this one for hunting.