Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Colorado Elk Hunt. Sidearm??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk View Post
Thanks guys. I didnt read anything in the rules that says sidearms are illegal. Sounds like the wild, wild west isnt as wild as it used to be.
Yah, that's because there's a bunch of idiots called law makers that have nothing better to do but create stupid laws!!!!!!!!!! Any human's life should be higher valued that an animal's life. If you're bow hunting in bear country, and it's illegal to carry side arms, your law makers don't give a hoot about your life!!! Believe it or not!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

I just came back from an archery hunt in CO and it is legal to carry a sidearm, and I did. Turned out I was very glad I did as after shooting a large cow one evening and boning out the meat my buddy and I were headed back to camp with headlamps on. We ran into a mountain lion that was pretty curious about us, and got within 40 yards or so before it disappeared. A brother-in-law of mine hunts out there every year with his father and a friend and twice now they've encountered black bears that acted quite aggressively. We've never had to use our side-arms yet (knock on wood), but they've been very comforting to have on our sides at times.

Out of the group, a couple carry blackhawk 44 mags, one Airweight 44 mag, one Taurus 454 Raging bull, a blackhawk 45 Long Colt, and before my hunt I bought a Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh with 6" barrel. Maybe a little large, but I didn't feel encumbered by it at all and it was mighty comforting to have stoked with 420gr WFN boolits.

I'd say carry one. It would be better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it....
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Bronze Member

I just got done talking with the Colorado DOW and they said it is legal to carry a sidearm as long as it is visible. It cannot be concealed. They also said even a person accompanying you who doesn't have a license can carry one for protection.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

There are no brown bears in CO. Mtn. Lions are there but they will wait until you are gone if they come in at all. I have archery hunted all over CO for years and never had a problem. I own side arms but personally have never brought one with me in the field in CO. To much weight for something I will never use in that state.

If you get into Utah, Wyoming and MT then you should think about taking something with you.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
To much weight for something I will never use in that state.
I know you mean well though that's the thing that will get you in trouble.
A man might only need it once all his life, that once is what counts. I won't go no where without my glock 22. At camp is under my pillow, in my truck is next to me, at home the same and I always pray the Lord never to let me use it against a human being. I also have a 44 mag. Ruger Red Hawk, that one is too heavy, but if it was all I had at least is more accurate than my 40 if it has bullets, and if I run out of bullets I can use it very effectively by holding it at the muzzle end.

I advice to get some small, light weight 40 caliber hand gun to pack where ever you go, even running around the block. Don't do it without a conceal weapon permit.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!