Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Colorado bear hunting...where to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

The good news is that I live in denver so I can make several scouting and practice calling trips before the season. I am hoping to get out in the spring and try the calling. If I can find some in the spring and try and follow thier migration through the summer I might have a chance for the fall. We won't get the huge bears here that they get in Canada but a CO bear with a bow will be at least as impressive. The baiting issue is certainly a double edged sword... it makes it easier but does it make it too easy?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

With a bow, on Colorado bears, heck no it wouldn't make it too easy. You've just been watchin' all those T.V. Shows filmed in Canada and Alaska where 3 bears will come into a bait with a guy sittin' 20yds from them. CO Bears do not do that. I've seen gut piles sit for a week in bear country and not be touched cause they have human scent on em'. Then see a animal that was wounded and died without being recovered not make it 6 hours. Our bears are a heck of a lot spookier, unless you're talking town bears.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Find a stinky garbage can in Aspen or Glenwood springs, slam dunk.

I hunted mule deer just north of Glenwood this fall, I seen 4 bears in 6 days.
Don't usually see that many but with food scarce in other areas, this spot was crawling with them.

One fellow in a nieghboring camp shot a bull quartered it and went in the next day with 4 guys to get it out. A boar was on the carcass with a sow and 2 cubs waiting in thew distance. 10 in the morning, the boar never left as they packed up the quarters, just stood 30 yards away popping .

I seen a bear cross the ridge in front of me 70 yards away. Heard ravens squaking about a quarter away. Went to investigate and found another bear on a carcass. Chased the bear off and here he was chewing on a mule deer. I asumed someone had hit it with a Muzzle loader a couple days before and didn't find it. Well I salvaged the rack. Nontyp score was 192" Typ score was 173". Some poor bastard had to be just sick with himself.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member

Lazylabs, if you have a 4 wheeler and don't mind the 4 hour trip to Paonia I can put you in some good bear country if they spring frosts don't kill off the acorns and the berry crop. Our group has seen and or taken some bears in the 500-600 lb range and one even bigger. Pick up a BLM map of area 53 and I can get you set up to scout if you would like. Dave
Old 11-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

That would be great. I will get a map and let you know. Thanks