Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Colorado bear hunting...where to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Colorado bear hunting...where to start

I would really like to archery hunt for bear in CO next year. It seems areas 78,42 and 15 have the best success rates but I can't find much info other than guided hunts. If anyone has info to share I would be greatful. Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Since baiting for bears is Illegal in Colorado, trying to kill one with a bow is quite an undertaking. If you are serious about trying to do that you're probably going to have to do some serious scouting for some natural bait sources that are being hit regularly such as dumps, campgrounds, apple groves etc. Honestly I'd steer you toward forgetting about flickin' sticks at them in CO., you're just really stacking the deck against yourself.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Now Now Devildoc, I have killed two bears in Co. with pointy sticks. One was over a gut pile from an elk I had killed, and one over a dead steer we found on another elk hunt. As long as you DO NOT move a food source it is not considered "Baiting". I have also called bears in, in Co. and NM, only got a shot at one. That was on Co., huge boar, got so rattled I missed the whole bear at 18 yds.

Hear is a link to Google with a lot of potential help. I would also spend some time on the phone, find out who the Bear Bioligist is for the units you are interested in, call and talk to him/her ( got to be PC) most of the folks at the Col DOW are quite helpful. Since baiting and dogs have been banned the Co bear population has skyrocketed, and so have compaints to the DOW about bears.

Good Luck
Dave

bear calling - Google Search
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

In three years archery hunting elk in Colorado, I have twice bumped bears in archery range. One a youngster, the other a huge boar. We see an amazing amount of bear sign! Never seen the like. That said, it would be a tough hunt with slim odds. Two sightings in three years is not very encouraging. But, we weren't hunting them.

No bait and no dogs? What the hell? Sounds like too many granolas moved in.

Wish I had something helpful.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys! I ordered the carlton video on calling I figure I have a couple months to kill.... I will have to hunt in an area that allows over the counter archery for elk since that is the only way you can hunt bear. I still don't understand why you have to buy a bear tag as a secondary tag.....sucks.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Dirtball, you pretty much confirmed what I said, you found a "natural" baitsource and hunted it. Would you say that it is an easy or likely occurance to find a good natural bait like a gutpile or dead steer in your hunting area? I've had bear come in to a faun in distress call a couple times too, but they never got anywhere near bow range. They always come in down wind and it's darn hard to have a bear not smell you untill 30-40yds when they're comin' in down wind, both I've seen come into calls winded us at well over 100yds. Granted we weren't using any scent control, but still a bear has the best nose in the woods. Congratulations on your Bears, that's a heck of a trophy in CO with a bow! But I think it's irresponsible to tell someone that they have a good chance of success hunting here with a bow. Sure it can be done, but it takes a whole lotta luck.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

But I think it's irresponsible to tell someone that they have a good chance of success hunting here with a bow. Sure it can be done, but it takes a whole lotta luck.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe I said anything about it being easy, There is nothing easy about hunting any animal with a bow, that is what makes it so damn much fun. Any body can kill an animal with a good rifle any a little practice from 50 to 250 yds. But to limit your self to over 500 with a rifle or under 30 with a bow, now that makes it interesting. Yes going to Colorado to hunt bear with a bow may be a fools mission, but that is what some of my friends have told me about hunting elk with a bow. But I still keep going back, and I enjoy every minute of it.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)