Platinum Member

Re: Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed

Penatration, 21 animals up to 1000 #, one trip ACC 2 BLADE
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed-africa.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

sp6x6, I have looked at that head and it is one of the few mechanicals that I believe would work consistently.
First point is it cuts even if it does not deploy, second point is the majority of the blade is captive in the steel ferrule. Third point is the two blade would have better penetration than the three blade.
Looks like a great choice!
How do they fly?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Dont copy? I shoot 2 blades various types, I am current shooting steel force phat head .80 thick, one of the thickest, x2 most others, cut on contact w/bleedr
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Sorry SP6x6 I thought you were using the NAP blood runner. That is the head I was commenting on. One of the few mechanicals that look good.
The Phat head looks like it would be bullet proof. I may give some of those a try, I like the heavy duty blades.
Always looking for the best thing available. We spend thousands of dollars on everything else and some people look for the cheapest broadhead.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
mthunter, what head are you shooting?
Im shooting rocket steelheads for most critters. not because its my favorite head but because when i was a store shooter for rocket for several years i was given broadheads for 5$ a pack. Needless to say i bought about 160$ worth and haven't come close to loosing them all yet. I think the only thing my steel head lacks is cutting diameter. I have shot 50+ big game animals from 5-80 yards and never had a failure. I also have yet to have an arrow that did not pass through the animal completely.

In the last couple years i have seen a ton of elk shot in front of me during archery season. If i had to buy a broadhead this year id probable shoot a tekan II or a rage.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

I come from a fixed blade background but I was having issues getting the results I wanted when I switched over to a modern bow, I despise mechanical broadheads for the most part because my earlier experience was with the type that open from the front over themselves. But I did find that the Tekan II had everything I was looking for, solid shank with cut on contact point, slide back blade design, and they shoot on top of my field points at any range. I've resharpened the Tekan II many times but I'm getting down to the point that I may have to use the Tekan.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

I shoot 125 gr Hell Razors. Flys like a field point. My thoughts:keep it simple. Shot placement is the most important factor no matter what broadhead you choose.