Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed

I shot a steel force 210 titanium to just under the skin on the far side of a cape buffalo. No matter what you shoot SHOT PLACMENT IS PARAMOUNT. Still like the expandables and have had great luck with them as I can shoot them straighter at long ranges and in the wind .my 2 cents
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

I shoot a pretty fast bow and practice year round to stay sharp. In the past few years I have used Rage and Grim Reaper mechanicals and been very pleased with the performance of both.

Rage: Good performance on game, they can be a pain going in and out of a quiver though. I switched away from them because they just were not very tough. I expect to need to replace blades after shooting a deer but the ferrule should hold up to multiple uses. Every Rage I shot at a deer killed the deer and then died itself when it hit the ground or tree behind it.

Grim Reaper: I shot the Whitetail specials this past year because I might as well use all that KE I have on hand and was very pleased. Clean them up check for straightness and replace the blades and go back to the woods. These things kill better than the Rages too IMO.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
O K, I know I am about to step into a BIG pile of "stuf" but, my feelings on this matter are that "mechanical broadheads are for people who do not know how to tune a bow". Why would you want to put three opportunities for failure on the front of every arrow you shoot?
My practice arrows consist of nine arrows, three each of Rocky Mountain Premier, Thunderhead, and Steelforce all 100gr. I shoot them mixed together out to 70yds, if the group stars to open up I know I have to tweak the rest a little.
I use the stiffest arrow I can find, right now 3-71 ACC, with a 70lb Bowtech, paper tune to 1/4" knock high tear, then go to 40yds, shoot one broadhead, then one field point, shoot four of each. Usually there will be two groups with the broadheads about 2 to three inches below the field points. Now start raising the rest in very small increments, 1/32 to 1/16" until the groups come together.
Now all of this assumes you practice enough and your form is good enough to shoot that MEGA SPEED BOW you just bought.
Dave

So choosing a compound bow with all the attendant wheels and sights and stabs. and rests is ok, but a mechanical broadhead is for someone looking for a shortcut? Give me a break.

I keep my bow tuned right and practice year round, and I like a mechanical broadhead because it is one more advantage to me as I see it.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

Fixed blade cut on contact have worked well for me for over 40 years, no need to fix what is not broken.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

After 15yrs of bowhunting and 9yrs as a Bowtech in a hunting store, I've developed some opinions of the products out there. I won't go into depth on all the aspects of this discussion, but in general, the vast majority of all broadheads on the market are marginal at best. That goes for both groups, though there are alot more 'good' fixed blade BHs out there than mech.

Breakage and bending are a big killer of penetration and overall effectiveness, and most BHs, especially mech., have this problem.

BHs that don't break and fly good are leaps and bounds above the rest. Go from there.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

SpencerSS, I agree and somewhat disagree but to your point, yes all good broadheads today are good. Better than they were years ago, whether they be fixed blade or mechanical. I wouldn't necessarily call them marginal however. As in all things manufactured, perfection is not obtainable 100% of the time so no matter the brand, the weight, the design you as a consumer may find a bad batch, or bad head in a batch. It's not different than all of the long range shooters on this site sorting brass, measuring bullets, etc....

The key to a successful broadhead is having one that is straight, squared to your arrow, and is sharp. Today's bows all generate sufficient energy at reasonable hunting weights to drive a hunting weight arrow/head combination through game when shot properly no matter the type of broadhead. (notice a lot of caveats in that statement) The only way to determine whether the head is a good one, is you have to put in on the arrow and shoot it. This again is no different than fine tuning hand loads, or switching bullets to match a barrel. You may have one head in a pack that doesn't shoot with the other ones, so you don't use it. The only way to figure that out is to shoot them all. Replace the blades or sharpen the blades or switch out the practice blades when that arrow and head combination hits where it's supposed to.

I shoot Muzzy heads, I like them, have shot others both fixed and mechanicals and come back to the tried and true because they work for me. I find about 1 head out of dozen I buy that is not straight and you can't square it to the arrow...the rate was higher for the others I shot hence why I keep coming back to Muzzy. But again, they key isn't the brand or type but the knowledge of each head I have on my arrows flies to the same point out to 70 yards.

Good Shooting to all!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed-bowbuck.jpg  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

By marginal, I was refering to mechanical advantage and durability. My coworkers and I have begun feild testing modern BHs. We are a few years from releasing results, but I can tell you that Modern designs are lacking in both of the aformentioned catagories.

The BHs are mostly inefficient and brittle (and if they break, they don't work to good).

The reason they work is modern bows are very efficient, most bowhunters are persuing whitetail deer (soft target), and have low expectations (They feel that if certain shots are made, its a bad shot, and there's nothing they could have done, or no arrow/broadhead that would have worked). With proper equipment, there is no bone in a whitetails body that should stop an arrow; so bad hits are mitigated (can't help gut shots, leg hits, or ones that miss vital organs and blood vessels).

National stats have it at more than 50% of all deer hit, are lost. That could be helped alot by changing arrow components.

This is what can be done, with the right stuff. Obviously, you don't have to go this heavy and what not for smaller animals, but the concepts are still valid.

Again, I refer to Dr. Ashby:
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/A...ing_Arrows.pdf