Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Broadheads- Mech. VS Fixed

O K, I know I am about to step into a BIG pile of "stuf" but, my feelings on this matter are that "mechanical broadheads are for people who do not know how to tune a bow". Why would you want to put three opportunities for failure on the front of every arrow you shoot?
My practice arrows consist of nine arrows, three each of Rocky Mountain Premier, Thunderhead, and Steelforce all 100gr. I shoot them mixed together out to 70yds, if the group stars to open up I know I have to tweak the rest a little.
I use the stiffest arrow I can find, right now 3-71 ACC, with a 70lb Bowtech, paper tune to 1/4" knock high tear, then go to 40yds, shoot one broadhead, then one field point, shoot four of each. Usually there will be two groups with the broadheads about 2 to three inches below the field points. Now start raising the rest in very small increments, 1/32 to 1/16" until the groups come together.
Now all of this assumes you practice enough and your form is good enough to shoot that MEGA SPEED BOW you just bought.
Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Bronze Member

I used thr Rage two blade last year to try something different. Never got a chance to shoot anything, ( Too Picky). I have never had any problem with fixed heads hitting the same as my fp's. after I went to a drop away rest. With the old TM two prong rest was a different story. And yes my Bow is tuned and I practice out to 50+ yds. often.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Bronze Member

In my original post, for some unknown reason, I stated that I used Rage. I use Grim Reaper, why I typed rage I don't know.

With the Grim Reaper I have had good luck, no failures to open and none opening at launch or during flight that I could tell. The Frim Reaper has a spring in the blade cup. These seem to be really good mechanicals and razor sharp.

I have been shooting Slick Trick fixed blades as well and I think I am going to go to these exclusively. These are hands down the best flying broadhead I have shot out of my current bow. I shoot the 100gr 4 blade and I have had pass thru's on all the hogs I have shot with these.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

My son and I just got back from a bison hunt in nebraska with our bows. we shoot rage 2 blade. I shot clear threw my bull and he was deadin 50 yards and my son sons broadhead just came threw the skin on the far side,dead in 100 yards. He is shooting a z7 extreme and Im shooting a xlr8. great broadhead
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j870sm View Post
In my original post, for some unknown reason, I stated that I used Rage. I use Grim Reaper, why I typed rage I don't know.

With the Grim Reaper I have had good luck, no failures to open and none opening at launch or during flight that I could tell. The Frim Reaper has a spring in the blade cup. These seem to be really good mechanicals and razor sharp.

I have been shooting Slick Trick fixed blades as well and I think I am going to go to these exclusively. These are hands down the best flying broadhead I have shot out of my current bow. I shoot the 100gr 4 blade and I have had pass thru's on all the hogs I have shot with these.
+1 on Slick Trick! Check out my friends successful safari hunts ...

Kirk Clark | Slick Trick

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

I have shot a variety of broadheads over the last 30 yrs. And I am currently shooting steel force, phat head .80 thick 2 blade with bleeder, I think this is thickest blade out, shoot like darts, I put one threw a bears shoulder blade at 20 yrds w/ 76 lbs. Got 12'' penatration,cut on contact point.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

Yup ONLY fixed blade for me, its not worth risking to me. I have personally seen without any large bones hit 5 mechanical failures 2 being with "rage". All of these deer were recovered but only after being shot a second or third time(Tracking dogs are awesome!). I shoot fixed blade and all steel, Snuffer SS 100s and I am now trying Slicktrick mag 100s. In all fairness I have also seen 2 muzzy broadheads blow up, one on a bear offside shoulder and one on a deer spine. I do know it is difficult for any broadhead to take that kind of abuse but have not had a problem with snuffers even when bone was encountered. Put the time in to tune them well any you wont be sorry! Just my experiences and opinion.