Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Broadhead that flies strait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Broadhead that flies strait?

I am getting into bow hunting this fall and hoping to get a leftover cow tag here in SD. My question is the state says you cannot use mechanical broadheads for elk they must be fixed blade. I have shot muzzy, NAP and others and cant find one that doesn't shift the point of impact half a foot at 20yds? I was thinking about the shuttle T lock. does anyone have experience with these? Montech's look good too but im afraid they will act the same as the muzzy since the shape is the same... any suggestions would be helpful
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Broadhead that flies strait?

Ive never had POI issues with phatheads,montecs, magnus or slick tricks on any of my bows. They've all flown true out to 40-50 yds. Is your bow paper tuned? An imporperly tuned bow can be the bane of a fixed broadhead tipped arrow. Phatheads and slicks would do a number on elk.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

If your fixed blad broad heads are changing the POI then something is off and probably more than just one thing. Timing, cam lean, knock point not correct height, arrow rest could need tweaking, arrow splin needs to be a little more or little less. Best to take your set up to someone who really really knows their business and is meticulous with there work. Bare shaft tunning and all.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

I use slick trick and find they fly very true great broad head!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Silver Member

Shuttle t-locks fly great. I've shot them for several years. I have practiced out to 70 yards with them. They are tough, and quiet. My only thing is they are difficult to resharpen. You won't go wrong using these heads. They will be with me in NM for the Sept. 1st elk opener this year. And then to Iowa in November.(4 points-I better draw-lol)

There are alot of quality heads out there. None of them will shoot without a properly tuned bow and some decent archery skills. I feel fixed blade heads exaggerate any inconsistances in an archers ability to shoot.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. I had not considered paper tuning the bow. Should this be done with field points, broadheads or both? I only know of one archery shop in my area that could do that and the guys that work there are jerks, is there an article i could reference to see the ins and outs of a properly tuned bow. I just bought a new bow and have not even tried to shoot a broadhead yet. I thought the problem was the broadhead not the bow since the field points flew where I wanted them to go. I guess i can try the muzzys and see how thew new bow shoots them i might not need new broadheads after all. My new bow is a Bowtech Destroyer 350 with 65lb limbs, an octane drop away rest, 7" octane stabilizer and 7pin trueglo sight. The bow was set up with knock loop and peep sight by the pro-shop and so far it shoots like a laser. I could not believe the difference the first time is shot it. It was, as Bowtech calls it, dead in my hand, no shock no vibration just amazing. Anyone shoot the destroyer 350? Any tips and tricks to get the best performance possible?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I'm shooting the destroyer 340 now. Have a APA M7 on the way. I love Bowtech bows, but their customer service sucks ass! I have had a bowtech allegiance, guardian, and this 340 destroyer. But won't own another bowtech. Too many quality bows out there, not giving my business to a company that treats their customers the way they do.
As far as paper tuning goes, I think it needs to be done. Either take it to someone, or research it and do it yourself. It's actually very easy to do. Although I have had a couple bows give me a little fit, most times theres nothing to it.
You as a shooter must have good shooting form, a smooth release, and proper follow through if you want to get your bow to shoot good through paper or anytime for that matter.