Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

broad head and field point issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

broad head and field point issues

ive just started bow hunting, well target practice, and was trying out my broad heads and found that they have a different POI to my field points. the 30yrd pin has to be used to get the same POI as the field points on the 20yrd pin.
and the broad heads are a little right too.
i can hit a 4 inch target from 20yrds around 90% so i dont think its me. but what could be causing this.
both heads weight the same +- 3 grains
bow sambar spur @ 65lbs 28"draw
help please.....
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: broad head and field point issues

Often your broadheads fly different then you field points. Even some expandable do. I am assuming you are using fixed blade. The thing most do is practice with practice blade broadheads.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Every time I have ever purchased a new bow I have had to try different broadheads until I found the ones that flew to the same point of impact as my fieldpoints. Unfortunately this can be costly. If you don't want to spend the $, adjust the sights and sacrifice a couple of your broadheads to practice.

When hunting season gets close I stick to shooting broadheads anyway and just buy a new target every so often.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

hmm i was wondering if this was going to be the case. the broad heads just make such a mess if the target and you have to unscrew them each time you want to pull them out. gets anoying. over here we have no seasons. well for duck hunting we do but that doesnt apply. so looks like ill be shooting broad heads all the time. or just shoot for grouping and leave it sighted for broad heads and just have the field points hit else where. problem is i dont want to try shoot unnies with broad heads sine that will become expensive quickly. already managed to robin hood an arrow. that was a $13 loss. grrrrrrr expensive sport
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

My field points fly the same as my Barracuda expandables(100gr). I think Crimson talon makes them. I also have practice arrows. The only time I shoot a target with my hunting arrows is to make sure they fly the same. I use different aim points when doing this so I don't robin hood them. Yeah at $125 a dozen for arrows and $20+ for 3 broadheads it is expensive.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

if your arrow has the correct spine, your inserts were turned until glue was dry, and your bow is tuned, you should be able to get the two to shoot the same. usually by fine tuning your rest. with a little work i have gotten my last 3 bows to shoot the same. i shoot 100 grain 3 blade muzzy's.

I am almost certain, a proshop could solve your problem.

also, muzzys come with a set of practice blades, and these can be shot into a bale of hay. they remove very easily. good luck and hope this helped.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Yep, it sounds like a tuning issue...

Here's a link that may help:

How To Tune A Bow

Good luck!