Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

is 50## enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

is 50## enough

im looking into getting into bow hunting. just looking at bows at the moment. im 6'1" and can draw my bros 65# bow all day with no issues.
the question i have is there is a 50# bear express bow ive seen and was wondering if 50# is enough to kill deer out to say 70rds ( ofcourse after practice)
any info would be great
cheers
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: is 50## enough

I'm no expert, so my opinion is about all I can offer.
I'm not too familiar with the bow you mentioned, but I would suspect it would depend a lot on the setup you have. By this I mean, are you shooting carbon arrows or aluminum arrows and what type of broad heads are you shooting? Mechanical broadheads require more energy to open the blades. It may not be a huge amount, but it's note-worthy. We all know carbon arrows are faster too. What type of speed is the bow capable of? These are the type things to take into consideration.

My first bow was a Darton youth bow. Setting at 45lbs, I would not take a shot past 40 yards with it and that was still pushing it. If I turned it up to 50, I doubt it having the power to take a dear past 40yards still. I honestly don't think I could fit enough pins in the sight to get me out to 70yards.

My current bow is only on about 60lbs, but it's designed to shoot arrows fast. I know for a fact it will take deer at 70 yards if I do my part. (I don't like shooting past 40 though.)

So to answer your question. It probably will provided you can launch your arrows with enough speed to make them count, which most of your recent bows can do. I just feel better shooting more weight.

Chris
Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

My first bow kill (after ALOT of practice) was in hopland, ca. It was a wild hog hunt, I took the shot, the sow was standing perfectly broadside at 74 yards. The arrow met its mark and the sow went 20 yards before collapsing. I was shooting a Hoyt 68lb bow. It was a complete pass through. I have the whole hunt on video. Memories I will never forget.

As for a 50lb bow, I would guess that with perfect shot placement it could take a deer at 70 yards yes. I would not recommend it but there are many other factors to look at other then just draw weight.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

I killed my first whitetail when I was 15 with a 45 pound compound, the shot was only 15 yards but the buck only went another 50 yards after that. I personally wouldnt think about shooting a deer at 70 yards with anything less than 65 pounds.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'm shooting a newer Bear bow set at 70lbs and would not want to shoot anything lower at that distance. I started shooting it set on 60lbs and going to 70lbs made a huge difference at my 60yrd pin, I can shoot 60yrds with 4 pins. The arrow and broad head will do the job at a lower poundage but why make it hard on yourself.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 PM

i blew through a canadian blackbear shooting a 51lb longbow with a 670gr arrow at a wopping 158fps.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

The question isn't if it will get into the lungs between the ribs, but what will happen if you are off a couple inches and hit the shoulder blade. I think you'd get terrible penetration. 70yds is a long, long way for a bow and if you're going to practice to shoot that far I would recommend pulling more weight. You can't plan on a perfect shot when your arrow is dropping so fast that 1-2 yds range difference makes a significant vertical placement difference.