Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Wow.... Rimfire discrimination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wow.... Rimfire discrimination

Good for you Savageman! I've never understood the folks who seem to think what they shoot is so much better than what another shoots. I have more fun with rimfires and air rifles anymore. My savage 17 hmr gets shot on every range outing and you just can't beat paying under 10$ for a tin of 250 .22 pellets for air rifles. A "man's" rifle is one you can hit what you aim for and sure showed them!

Zeb
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Well Done Savageman

The range at which I shoot is a target rifle/F class range from 300 to 1000 yards. We are in the process of introducing a portable smallbore target frame for exactly the reasons you stated in your comments. If we can teach someone to shoot a 22LR at 100/150/200 yards the transition to a centrefire rifle is so much easier...all those wondeful wind reading / trajectory skills are very useful in whatever discipline you participate.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Ya i was very irritated at those comments but was smilin ear to ear when they "donated" $60 to my rifle fund all i need to do is win $500 more dollars and i will have a new rifle!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

The individuals that were strongly voicing their disapproval of your shooting the small bore are showing their ignorance of firearms and shooting in general. The small bore is the cheapest way to learn to shoot anything well. Lots of militry around the world use small bore to train their troops in marksmanship. Canada for instance has converted lots of SMLE Enfield 303 to 22LR to train their military.
You just keep on keeping on with your small bore and let the knowitalls shine it on.
I have a whole stable of firearms from 22/250 on up to 375H&H and I can tell you it is expensive to shoot them, even with rolling your own. I take the Marlin 39A to the range to shoot and save money and I can shoot all day if I like.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Update: one of the guys who i took money off that day showed up today with a Savage 93 just like mine raving on how much fun and cheap and accurate it was he didnt even bring his .300
on the military's training with 22's note i have a mossberg 42 that was used in england to train troops for WW2, and its the best .22lr rifle i have ever shot super accurate and smooth shooting beautifull gun and and at 70 years old with the original barrel amazingly nice i have no idea how many rounds has been through it but im asuming alot.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

some of my favorite reasons:

1. economical - even with expensive match ammo, still able get in more trigger time, and more QUALITY trigger time when taking the .22 lr or other rimfires seriously using Quality equipment and ammo.

2. low recoil - just like #1, can have more trigger time without abusing yourself.

3. easier to find shooting "flaws" in your shooting form, and correct them - because of #1 + #2 - easlily transfers over to centerfire.

4. better understanding of how wind plays a part in hitting targets - especially at 100 and 200+ yards.

5. easier to find somewhere to practice with the 22lr at 100 and 200 than a centerfire at 500+ yards.

6. taking #1 thru #5 into consideration, easier to experiment and see results of those trial and error moments to improve accuraccy, equipment, etc.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

The ignorance some shooters may display against rimfire is about x10 when you show up with a PCP air rifle. All the air rifles for sale around here have been those trashy springers, except for one Benjamin Discovery at Big Bear Sports. It was in .177 cal, not a good hunting caliber.

I prefer air rifles to shotguns for bird hunting. One neat hole through the bird. No need to dig out lead shot. Of all the birds and varmints I've shot with my .25 cal PCP, up to skunk and jackrabbit size, I have never recovered a pellet.

The Benjamin Marauder is a good PCP rifle made in the USA, and it comes in .22 and .25 cal for hunting. Should be able to get close to 60 fpe out of the .25 cal. The new Benjamin .357 Rogue has 250 fpe for big varmints like bobcats. Nosler makes a ballistic tip bullet just for it.

Air rifle discrimination may start to fade away, since you can now get good PCP rifles at affordable prices. BTW, the .357 Rogue is about $1000 less than an English Daystate .22 cal that has the similar adjustable electronic valving system. And the Rogue has 3 times the power. It runs with a .22WMR in the power department, but a big .357 cal for knockdown smack.