Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Sub Sonic ammo Pro's and con's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sub Sonic ammo Pro's and con's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
Sorry for the lag time, I’ve be at the Camp Patriot, WCT Steel Challenge match… West Coast Tactical: Login put on by Carl Taylor aka; {Kocoa88} in Colville Wash. Quite the shoot. Anyway to answer your question; I use Lapua subsonic HP; I have used the solids, and to tell you the truth I can see any difference in accuracy or impact on small critters.
Thanks for the response 436.

I have been hunting turkeys myself and had good luck (4 Turkeys in 4 days) and now I'm ready
to start testing the different sub sonic ammo.

Thanks again
J E CUSTOM
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I was just wondering how many people were using the sub sonic 22 rim fire ammo
and which did you like the best for small game .

I have both the 40gr and the 60gr and the 40gr is a little light in energy (64 ft/lbs )
as compared to the 60gr with 120 ft/lbs.

The regular 40gr 22LR ammo has close to 200 ft/lbs of energy but as you know also
makes a distinctive crack when fired.

Comments good or bad are welcome.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Well I finally made it to the range today and shot the sub sonic ammo.

I found that the 60gr sss did not like the 1 in 16 twist (Just like you said ss7mm ).

It shot 1" to 1&1/4'' 5 shot groups at 100yrds but two of the five groups had a
key hole in them.

The wind was blowing 20 to 25 MPH so I did not get a chance to try them @ 200yrds.

The 40 gr sub sonic ammo worked well and stayed below 3/4 MOA.

I was suprised at the sound though (They were not much quieter than the regular
22 ammo).

I will have to try the lapua next.( this was the Aguila sss).

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

Just a few questions;
When you say “they” were not much quieter, who’s ammo brands are you speaking of as a comparison for subsonic and supersonic sounds….? It sounds like both were Agiula. I’ve found in the past that Remington subsonic ammo well have about 15% or so, give or take, that will go supersonic in the box. And what suppresser are you using? Is it a dedicated .22 rimfire suppresser? If you talking about the Db’s {disables} being high on the first round, drop a teaspoon of water into the suppresser and stake it a little. That will lower the first round crack.
If your shooting 1” to 1 ¼ inches with SSS from a 1-16” twist barrel, your getting better accuracy then I can at 100 yards with SSS ammo.
Bottom line is if you have a quality suppresser, it should be very easy to hear the differences in subsonic and supersonic ammo going through the weapon.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
Just a few questions;
When you say “they” were not much quieter, who’s ammo brands are you speaking of as a comparison for subsonic and supersonic sounds….? It sounds like both were Agiula. I’ve found in the past that Remington subsonic ammo well have about 15% or so, give or take, that will go supersonic in the box. And what suppresser are you using? Is it a dedicated .22 rimfire suppresser? If you talking about the Db’s {disables} being high on the first round, drop a teaspoon of water into the suppresser and stake it a little. That will lower the first round crack.
If your shooting 1” to 1 ¼ inches with SSS from a 1-16” twist barrel, your getting better accuracy then I can at 100 yards with SSS ammo.
Bottom line is if you have a quality suppresser, it should be very easy to hear the differences in subsonic and supersonic ammo going through the weapon.
No suppressor.

And it was all Agiula. Other brands are hard to find right now.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Duh! for some reason I thought you were using a suppresser.... got you mixed up with another post while I was typing...... "step away from the beer!"