Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage Mark II Versus Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Savage Mark II Versus Ruger 10/22

Would like to get me a .22LR for target shooting, particularly for long ranges. The Ruger 10/22 seems to be the Swiss Army knife of .22 rifles because there is so much after market stuff. Yet, from some of the stuff I have read, the Savage Mark II is so good out of the box that even though there are less things on the market for it, you don't really need to upgrade or accurize it much.

So, what are your views on here? Which make and model would you buy, and why? I am leaning towards the Savage because for target shooting I think the bolt action is preferable.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 AM

Re: Savage Mark II Versus Ruger 10/22

I own 3 10/22's and a Savage Mark II FV-SR. On a couple of those 10/22's I've spent around $1000.00 fixing them up to shoot fairly accurately. They're still not as good as the Savage i purchased a couple of months ago for a little less than $300.00.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

I'd buy a CZ over either. Costs about the same as the Savage, but will give even better groups. I've shot all three of them a fair amount, the Rugers are fun to play with, but can't hold a candle to the Savage or CZ without spending a bunch of extra $. The Savage is a great out-of-the box shooter, and I do like my Dads Mark II, but you get alot more gun with a CZ452 than a Savage for almost the same $ (my452 Military Trainer was around $270 two years ago). Just my 2cents.

Last edited by threejones; 05-30-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a Savage MK II to compare with, but I have a factory original Ruger with the heavy hammer forged barrel and laminate stock. I bought it used (98% condition) for $325 with 3 factory 10 rd mags. It shoots with 2 pretty good bolt guns (Kimber 82G, and Wby/Anschutz MK XXII) and is more fun, but is a bit more of a pain to clean. I'm considering drilling the hole in the back of the receiver for a cleaning rod to pass through, so I don't have to use a Boresnake or clean from the muzzle.

All that said, the Savage may be more of a sure thing, but this particular 10-22 shoots as good as I can.

Check out Rimfire Central and see what turns up. I imagine there is a LOT of discussion on this subject. Both rifles are very popular.

Good problem to have!

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

I wanted something to play around with in rimfire and had been planning on buying a CZ or maybe even buying a custom action and barrel for a custom build.

Well on a whim I recently bought a Savage MkII TR with desert tan stock, heavy fluted blued barrel from local national box store for ~$350.00.

I put a 4-12X40 Nikon prostaff on it today.

This thing shoots awesome. After zeroing it I incrementally increased in 25 yard amounts until I shot my first 5 shot group at 100 yards. I was using SK Match ammo. I shot a .570 grouping. I am not sure if that is phenomenal for a 22 but I was extremely pleased.

It was late and my 6.5-06 was ready at the Gunsmiths so I had to pack it in for the day but I am headed back out tomorrow.

Count me a Savage Mark II TR fan!
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Gold Member

For accuracy I would go with the Savage. I bought one for my daughter to shoot in 4-H competitions a few months back. A buddy of mine has two Anschutz rifles his boys shoot in the same club. My daughter's Savage will shoot just as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Savage is as a good a rifle as the Anschutz, but they may get real close to shooting as well in many cases.

I had to take a couple of turns out of the trigger spring to get it down to 2 lbs, but that is easy to do, and the trigger is nice a crisp with no creep. I can now get it to break at just over 1 lbs if I want to adjust it that low. Depending on which competition she is going to the pull weights are either 1.5 lbs min, or 2 lbs min.

Others have mentioned CZ. I just bought a heavy barrel varmint model CZ with a thumbhole stock. I have not shot it much yet, but it looks like it is going to be a fine rifle. All in all it appears to be a little better made than the Savage for around the same money, but I have not shot it enough to say if it will shoot any better. The only complaint on the CZ is the trigger. The spring was easy enough to take a couple of turns out of, but there was way too much sear engagement with no adjustment. I had to do a full trigger job on it. I can now adjust it down to under 1 lbs with a good clean break. If you don't know how to do a trigger job you might consider that when buying one, as you may have to have a smith work the trigger for you.

On the 10-22......... Like others have said, you can spend a lot of money on accurizing and still not have a rifle that will shoot as good as the Savage out of the box. IMHO.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

I have two Savages, TR and the Mark Ii stainless thumbhole. My son in law bought a TR and my two buddies have Mark Ii's one blue, one stainless. All five shoot 1/4" at 50 yards....great rifle for the money. Shoot it right out of the box. Both of mine shoot best with Remington Eley Club Extra. The other guys shoot Wolf Match and Federal Match.