Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Marlin,

On the forum at rimfirecentral.com there is some feedback in many of the WSM threads under the "other rimfire guns section", paricularly the "poll: 1.5 inch groups..." thread. My interpretation is that the results are mixed. Some have reorted getting back a rifle that groups abot an inch at 100 yds while others have not been so lucky. I'm stll waiting to get my rifle returned to me after sending it back to Savage about five weeks ago. I did call them after four weeks and the CSR stated it was being replaced with a new rifle.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Well, Savage had my b-mag for 6 weeks so I called them today. It had terrible accuracy, split cases and the stock was not free floating. They said they were going to replace it with one that the engineers checked first. I asked if I could have the bull barrel model instead, and got it for $50 more. Hope this one works.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Have not had response from Savage on my email;may require a phone call.I hate to send it back if they can"t give me an answer on what the problem is.Will keep you posted.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

I m an old timer, got my first rifle in 1952. Over the years I would look at, talk to people, and read about their Savage rim and center fire bolt action rifles. In recent years the reports that the quality and accuracy of the Savage rifles are greatly improved were common . I think that I was lucky that the new B Mag action rifle was not available for me to get in the area I live . After reading ( B Mag Teardown) I knew I did not wont a rifle with a action that was so different than the proven Savage rim and center fire bolt actions. After reading about the Winchester 17 Super Mag rim fire cartridge I started looking for a rifle chambered for it. I do not wont to spend $ 1300 for the Winchester single shot rifle. I have read about various problems and some good comments by persons who have the B mag rifle that cost $ 300 and or $400 . I still wont a rifle chambered for the 17 WSM round and am willing to spend more than $400 to get one that is problem free .
Old 05-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Bronze Member

Tuck2,

Good luck finding such a rifle. I, too, had a Savage rimfire when I was young, and I was quite pleased with it. When I joined the Navy, it disappeared.

In my opinion, Savage has done a lot of harm to their brand by offering--no, foisting--the B.MAG on a trusting public. Their campaign to sell B.MAGs was boosted by gun magazine writers that provided glowing reviews of it's performance. If they really achieved the accuracy they claimed for the B.MAG, it was a custom shop-selected rifle that was the exception, rather than the rule.

But then again, if you write for a gun magazine to put food on your table, you can't be too critical of the things you write about lest the rice bowl get taken away.

The best thing Savage could do, in my opinion, is recall each and every B.MAG and refund the price to the owners.

Having invested so much time and effort in the B.MAG, I'm giving it one more chance to prove to me that it is capable of shooting good groups, by replacing me behind the trigger with a friend who is an accuracy shooter. I'm waiting for good weather and my friend.

If it shoots good groups for him, then we'll know it's me, not the rifle and I may keep working at it. If it's not me, then it's going into the local newspaper for someone else to struggle with. But, as an honest person, how can I conceivably palm off an inferior product to a trusting and unsuspecting buyer? I may be stuck with it.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Lacking any friends that could shoot any better tha me I convinced myself it was the rifle by alternating between the B Mag and my T-Bolt in .17 HMR. Same temp., same wind, same rest etc. Groups with T-Bolt about 1" at 100 yds. while B Mag shot 6" and a few 8" groups.

One positive to come out of this struggle with the B Mag was that in an effort to try to get it to shoot better I discovered these forums where at least I was able to read some experiences from other owners -"not gun writers". I have yet to read any article from a gun writer mentioning any problems with the B Mag. Maybe there are some such articles but I haven't seen them.

After first reading the articles about the B Mag and the .17 HSM I couldn't wait to get one. My rifle is back to savage and I can't find any more ammo to buy. I hope Savage/Winchester ultimately gets it right. I'll check this forum before I buy another newly introduced product from either company.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

No feedback on the bull barrel anyone?