Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Made it back the range to finish up my latest test, interesting results. My gun shoots good just doesn't shoot good groups..The center group was actually shot on 3 separate days, the circled shots are the first shots fired each of the 3 days. Ironically there is some consistency to the other shots as well as the barrel heats up. the 2 shots 2 the left of the 3 actually came at the end of the first magazine fired the rest, well too random to be useful. today I also added a limbsaver to the barrel ( whats another $10.00 into this rifle) the right group shows the results the circled shots are cold bore with at least 5 minutes between firing the low shots are 2nds and 3rds. the group on the left was fired with my marlin 17hmr open bolt close bolt find target fire, repeat...After the range I decided to drive up to a spot that we shoot gophers. I only saw 3 its still a bit cold but the wsm made a mess of the first one at about 75 yards and when his friend stood up I went for the quick 2fer and low and behold missed the 2nd shot. waited another 10 minutes and the 3rd one got up at about 125 and bang dead gopher. I dont know what to make of all this. I think I am sending it back to Savage, my extractor is starting to fail to extract and my rear action screw is stripped out. On a side note I spoke with a new dealer in a nearby town he has sold 5 and owns 1 bmag and claims 1 inch groups at 100 all day, also stating none of his customers have anything bad to say about theirs. All this makes me wonder what is the total production so far and units sold. do most people not care if a rim fire shoots 3" groups. or are there good ones out there. He did have a savage long range hunter 6.5x284 with dies and 2 boxes of nosler ammo for $650 (used but not much) might have to go back and buy it I hope its gone when I get there...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-20140401_192729.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

HntWhtTail...

I share your angst. Regarding the testimonials from the "my B.MAG won't shoot a group" crowd and the "my B.MAG shoots 1" groups all day long" folk, I think the source of the problem rests solely in the parts fabrication and assembly of the rifle at Savage. If the parts are spec'd for low cost (which, apparently they are) and if the assembly is geared for maximum output at minimum cost, then "quality" suffers. Not every rifle will be bad, but the variability in the production processes will allow more of the bad rifles through than if tight quality controls were applied at every stage of the production. Consider a Mercedes versus a Kia. There are probably lots of good Kias around and some bad Mercedes, but the likelihood of finding a bad Kia is much greater than finding a bad Mercedes. So we suffer and complain, looking for solutions....

Up until today, I had the potential opportunity to ask Savage to take my rifle back and refund my money. But as of today, I own it. I'd tried lots of ways to "float" the barrel as it is supposed to do without any visible mechanical mods, without success. Today I took a Dremel tool to the keel and ribs of the stock. I didn't have to do a lot of work to get it to float...there were just a few high spots, but they were significant. Now, I have at least 0.022" to 0.028" between the forend and the breech end of the barrel. I know that precisely because a two strips formed from a McDonald's French Fry container mic'd at 0.011" each and a sheet of copy paper mic'd at 0.006". Putting the two McD's strips together (o.022"), everything clears over the whole length. Adding the strip of copy paper just "barely" clears over all the previous high spots.

So, now...if only the stock will hold that clearance and if the weather ever turns good again, I'l give it another try.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM

well i did a little work to my stock to beef it up. Last chance ditch effort before buying a Boyd's stock..... i filled the whole front of the stock with epoxy and then remounted the barrel and shimmed it straight. Is has full float and now the stock is 5x stronger and more ridged then stock! gonna go shoot it this weekend and show you all the results. heres a pic of the stock after if did the epoxy work.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-20140402_212940.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Just got back from the range with a friend and his brand new Savage 17 WSM. What a disappointment ! I own high end Savage mod 12 in 243 and can't be happier, so why did Savage go down this dirt road. It is a 50 yard gun at best because the plastic stock that doesn't fit at all and very poor workmanship. They need to remove this gun ASAP from their line and refund the people that bought one.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

Last weekend I tried shooting the modified B.MAG. The forearm remained away from the barrel after I'd modified it with a Dremel tool the week before. I shot only the 25gn ammo, as I'd had such poor experience with the 20gn ammo failing to extract.

After the last shoot, I delayed cleaning the rifle. I cleaned it just before last weekend's sortie. I was surprised at the amount of gunk that was removed and by how many solvent-soaked patches and bronze brushes I had to run through it to get the patches to come out mostly clean. I'm thinking that if the chamber got all gummed up, that might a reason for the failures to extract. But then again, the 25gn rounds extracted well. But then after the cleaning, I thought again that if the B.MAG requires a thorough cleaning after every 10-20 rounds, it's not a very useful field gun.

The groups I shot last weekend were about the same, or a little worse than the ones I showed in the photos in my post of a couple of weeks ago. So new photos wouldn't reveal much. I'm kind of kicking myself now, though, because it wasn't a true comparison. In my previous shooting, I'd used a Lead Sled rest. This last shoot, I used a Harris bipod with a bag for the butt support. The geometry was such that I couldn't get a natural grip on the stock and trigger because of the bag. Really kinda' dumb thing to do if I was looking to compare apples-with-apples.

I'm going to give the B.MAG one more try. My friend, who is a 1,000yd black powder competition shooter (45-90 & 45-120), has volunteered to shoot it. I'll let him shoot 5 at 100yds then I'll shoot 5, then we'll repeat the sequence to see if it's me or the rifle. I hope it's me that is limiting the accuracy because practice than help to improve that.

On a ground squirrel hunt in Klamath Falls last year, I was quite happy with my shooting using a Marlin .17HMR. So I'll also shoot my Marlin and let my friend shoot it as well. If the B.MAG can shoot as well as the HMR, then I'll use it for my Klamath Falls hunt next month.

I've spent more time trying to 'tune' this B.MAG than I have for any other rifle I've owned. It's just about time to say, "enough!" If the B.MAG doesn't meet or exceed the HMR's accuracy, it's going to get listed for sale in my local paper. I've got lots of 25gn ammo, so that might induce a buyer.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM

I tried cleaning after every shot and could still do no better than 6" groups at 100 yds. I also tried shims to float the barrel with no improvement. Someone on some forum suggested rubber O-rings to modulate the barrel harmonics. I had no luck with that either. Finally about 4 weeks ago I sent the rifle back to Savage and have not heard from them as of yet.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Hey guys new to this forum but have been trying to make my B-Mag live up to the early hype for 3 months.Gettin eratic 3-5 inch groups with both 20 and 25 gr loads.Bought Boyds stock hoping that was the problem but had same results;beginning to think its a receiver bedding problem.Just sent email to Savage but have little hope they can help.Think maybe they rushed out a bad design and now regret it.Has anyone gotten back a gun from them that was any better? Thanks