Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

I am tagging along, sorry for freeloading. I think the cartridge is very interesting but I'm a touch nervous about the rifle.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

I plan to shoot the replacement Savage sent me within the next couple of days. My FFL talked to the Savage folk and they confirmed that the B.MAG should have a floating barrel and, according to my FFL, sounded incredulous that the forend should have a banana shape and contact the barrel. I will report my findings here after I shoot it.

I started to fix the (two) points of contact with the barrel by grinding away on the webbing in the forend, but before "fixing" the problem I realized that I had accomplished two things: First, I had voided the warranty and 2) I had weakened an already flimsy forend.

To "lift" the barrel off the forend, I inserted a washer in the forward counterbore of the forend attach point. But then I could not get the trigger guard to latch into place. So I removed an "E"-clip at the forward end and stick it underneath the attachment point on the barrel to raise the attachment bracket. It is now free-floating. How it shoots will be determined in a few days.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

I'm assuming greed got the better of the Savage management team... I just bought a Savage 93 BTVS in 22WMR and I got it because the 17WSM just looks like a piece of plastic sh1t.

This

vs this

I think I will wait with the 17 until someone builds a decent gun... The stainless actioned/barreled BTVS in 22WMR with laminate stock was also only $80 more expensive than the plastic, CM and pot-metal Bmag. Unless consumers vote with their wallets, the feedback loop on quality is going to stay open circuit and company executives will keep making these kinds of stupid decisions.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

Yea, its sad to say that if your not going to spend 600.00 + on a rifle its getting hard to find one well made in the USA.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

The stainless heavy barrel and laminate thumbhole rifle was $406 including shipping.....
Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Bronze Member

I also have a savage 93 in the .22 mag, and its my most loved rifle I shoot.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
The stainless heavy barrel and laminate thumbhole rifle was $406 including shipping.....
and it's made in Canada.