Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

ray Ill go ahead and say yes to all you questions

oregonreloader, it should be easy to make the cartridge better. Heck its obvious they rushed the gun through production.

I'd say the same for the cartridge. target shooters tweek powder and grains all the time. right. I don't see how they had enough time to properly develope the round.

Hopefully other ammo manufacturers will offer cartridges, that should show if there is any more potenial in the ammo.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Hammer...I understand that they can, but I was asking if they do, once they've got a production design and the line set-up? Improving the round would probably entail a significant budget for range and R&D time allocated for that purpose. Then, if improvements were found, and management decided to go ahead with the improvement, it would require additional costs to re-tool.

My guess is that if there was competition for a popular cartridge (e.g., .22LR, .308, 30-06, 12Ga, etc.), Winchester would make changes as necessary to remain competitive. But at the present time the .17WSM doesn't seem to be a "hot item" with numerous manufacturers lining up to make the rifle or the ammo. In fact, since the case is a derivative of an established Winchester product, they would likely maintain the .17WSM patent protection until it expires--17 years, I think. So that would leave Winchester as the only game in town for ammo. So I was just asking if ammunition makers routinely undertake improvement programs.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

I agree 100% oregonreloader. I forgot to put in the part about would they do it. with competition this round would reach its potential.

The real test would be what the volquartsen does with this round. if its a tack driver it sure ain't the cartridge.

would the wildcat world work on this round ?

As long as I can have some fun with it I'll be happy.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

found this on Volquartsens facebook page maybe ammo is not the problem? maybe this was the best group the shot out of 10000 tries? I dont know I do know its too damn cold here(-24) to go to the range to try my latest update. The good news just got 500 more rounds of the 20 grainers in the mail, sent Winchester an email no reply been a week.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-volquartsen.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM

In my opinion it has more to do with the design of the rifle then ammo, read my accuracy improvements here.

B Mag Accuracy - Page 7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM

If we can call the 17WSM ammo "The Arrow" and the Savage B-Mag "The Indian" then I totally believe in the metaphor...... "It Aint The Arrow.... It's The INDIAN!!!

I honestly don't believe the ammo is playing much in the outcome of this poor grouping issue. The only reason im saying this is I did a little research with my Remington Model 700 in 270 Cal. I weighted every round in the box of 140gr. Remington Ballistic Tip and Winnie 130gr. Ballistic Silvertip and shot 20 rounds of each at an indoor 100 yard range. I shot all the rounds off my Lead Sled rest. Almost all the rounds were off in weight. I weighted them in grams. The Winchester rounds varied from 20 grams to 27 grams and the Remingtons ranged from 20 grams to 29 grams. I thought it was a huge weight difference! Then I shot them and here in the out come. It looks like the rounds were off left and right but it was actually low and dead on....
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM

srry... forgot to upload potos.....
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-20140207_221624.jpg   Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-20140207_221632.jpg  

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-20140207_221846.jpg