Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Nice write-up and thanks for taking the time to do it. Once again, all the hype from Gun Writers doesn't compare to a real person buying an off-the-shelf rifle. I'd be very curious to hear your experiences either fixing your own problem or sending it in and seeing what comes back.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

H3ll send me one of your problem b mags...ill shoot it!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM

I was having the same results with my B Mag. I took action out of stock and used some 100 grit sandpaper wrapped around a deep well socket. Barrel is now truly free-floating. I know the B Mag is cheap, but I thought Savage would have done a little better. I am now getting better groups @ 100yds. This was my first 5-shot group. Barrel was getting warm on shot 5.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-resizedimage_1380298277975.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

I purchased the B.MAG in mid-September and mounted a Leupold Vari-X III on it. Firing the 20gn round from a Lead Sled rest, I could not shoot groups smaller than 2"-3" at 100 yards. I have returned the rifle to Savage for service.

After I returned the rifle to Savage, my FFL called me to say that someone had come into his shop, saw the 17WSM cartridge I'd left there as a show-and-tell and told the FFL that he'd returned his to Savage because he couldn't get it to group, either. The FFL called another shop and they told him that they'd had three customers return their B.MAG to Savage for the same reason.

It would seem that Savage has a bit of a problem. I hope it is fixable.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM

I just received from savage a replacement B-Mag. I will set it up and do some shooting this week hopefully. I'll post the results when I do.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Hopefully they will straighten things outMy store just received the shipment they have had on order for several months. They are priced at 320$. The one we found in August was 289$ but has not been fired because we have no ammo yet( my buddy has this one)
I have received 3 stock alert emails so far for ammo but all stock has been gone in the time it took for me to enter an order
I REALLY want a .17 rimfire that can handle a little breeze.
I was really fired up or this little rf after reading the article in American Rifleman and I act compulsively on new stuff a lot. I'm thinking I should sit back and hope for good news
Please let us know how everything works out
Everything I read I thought that scope bases and rings were included but only bases on the 2 I have had my hands on
Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

Has anyone had recent experience? I received my B.MAG back from Savage yesterday and mounted the scope today. I took the stock off and noticed the same curvature as shown in the photos above. I will try to shoot in the next few days but the weather is getting ugly and may get too cold to go out. Any recent reports of good experiences or how to tune this rifle would be comforting.