Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread on the Rimfire Forum so I'm creating this thread instead.
I bought a Savage B.Mag last week and thought folks might be interested in this new rifle. I mounted a Leupold 3-9 scope using the factory supplied bases and a set of steel Weaver rings. I had read several Gun Writer reviews and watched the YouTube videos so I was expecting good things out of the new rifle. If you read my posts in the Varmint Hunting Forum, you know I wasn't overly impressed with the Micky Mouse plastic stock but decided to reserve overall judgement until I fired the gun. I can forgive a lot of production shortcuts as long as the accuracy is there.

After I sighted the rifle in, I fired four 100 yard groups from a shooting bench using sand bag rests. The first two were with the Winchester 25 grain silver polymer tipped bullets and two groups with the Winchester 20 grain red polymer tipped bullets. I wasn't really impressed. I had been reading all these reports of sub-MOA 1/2" or 1/3" groups at 100 yards. I didn't get that kind of accuracy out of this rifle. Here are photos of the groups I got:

I made elevation adjustments, but otherwise, made no changes to the rifle. I let the gun cool between groups. I didn't bother measuring any groups; I didn't see the need. The target dots I used are about 3/4" in diameter, so you can estimate the size of the groups. Not as good as I had hoped. I think it will do better with a little tuning.

Looking at the four groups and how they strung from low left to high right, and not in any sequence, I figured I had a bedding problem. In the next post I'll show the breakdown and guts of the rifle.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_180204_473.jpg   Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_180229_439.jpg  

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_180243_818.jpg   Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_180255_811.jpg  

Last edited by Nimrodmar10; 08-12-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

I checked to see if the barrel was floated and found that a piece of paper would only slide halfway down to the receiver. That seemed like a odd way to bed a barrel.

I removed the rotary magazine and then removed the trigger guard/lower receiver cover by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into the slot in the front of the magazine well.

I then checked the torque of the two action screws. They were torqed to over 50 inch pounds each so were not loose. I then removed them and removed the barrel/action from the stock.

When I checked the area of the for end under the barrel, I saw the problem. The fore end of the stock was bows up in the middle. This causes the barrel to move around freely on the small plastic webbing that was supposed to stiffen the stock.

I've ground/sanded the ribs down to where the barrel is now floated. Before I put the gun back together, I intend to fill the for end corregations with epoxy resin to try and stiffen the stock enough to keep it from flexing up and touching the barrel when I rest the barrel on a sand bag or rest. When this is finished, I'll fire the rifle again and let you know how it shoots.
The last picture is a close up of the trigger assembly. In the top-down photo of the trigger, you can also see a picture of the Accutrigger adjustment wheel.

Hope this helps. I'll post more as it becomes available.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_172255_617.jpg   Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_172124_418.jpg  

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_172003_765.jpg   Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_171914_294.jpg  

Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown-img_20130810_171759_236.jpg  

Last edited by Nimrodmar10; 08-12-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Nice write up, my bmag came in this last week, but have no ammo yet
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Nice write up. When you took the rifle apart are the majority of the pieces plastic? Even the accutrigger housing looks plastic (I am not familiar with the accutrigger since my savages are a little older). I still can't bring myself to buy one since my savage 93GV 17hmr is so much nicer. What do you think as far as for your first impression? I am anxious to see if your solution fixed the accuracy issue.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Nice!! It would appear our guns were made from the same mold. My groups were exactly like yours and this is the first time I've seen anyone else have the same issue. Everyone else is claiming tight groups. I was thinking it was ammo since I was also having problems with cartridges not firing. After cycling it again it would fire but it was so inaccurate. Some of the casings had two dents from the firing pin. I sent my gun back to savage so we'll see what happens from there. Maybe they'll figure it out and fix it for me. I'll follow up in about 4 weeks when I get it back.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

There are times when I don't feel like reloading the center fire 17 Cal rifles. So I m interested in getting a 17 WSM rifle. Maybe CZ or Ruger will make one of steel and wood. I ll pass on the Savage but should I get one I,d put the barreled action into a wood laminated varmint glass bedded stock.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Bronze Member

It seems like savage is going down hill, with the new owners now...