Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Ruger CHARGER--what scope??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

Ruger CHARGER--what scope??????

Never had heard of this critter before I bought one at a dealer yesterday. A 10/22 with a pistolgrip laminated stock with down-turning forend so the 10" tapered barrel only has the full-size shank ahead of the receiver in the stock.
The gun comes with a bipod adapter and good bipod, the short one, but I have not checked it to see if it is a Harris. Has a Weaver rail screwed on the top of the receiver and no sight provisions. For $300 plus tax, I just had to jump. NOW--my question is: Should I get a Burris 3-12 plex for it in Z-rings or just put a rifle scope on it? It will be in the Colorado dog towns this Summer with me after some playing with it--of course, the trigger was atrocious so the "group" is already off to KC for my gunsmith buddy to set-up for me. I will be searching for a replacement "cool" barrel one of these days, so IF any Ruger forged HBs are sitting in the closet wasting space, let me know. An old Burris 10x would be a find, also. Thoughts?????? Thanks, Bob
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

I just saw one in a gun store yesterday, thought it was such a good idea I cant believe Ruger did not come out with it years ago.
As far as scope suggestions any pistol scope would work fine, cant imagine putting a rifle scope on one though.
UB
Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
SPONSOR

Depending on your uses and how close you want the handgun to you would determine for me whether or not I use a LER or a rifle scope.
For most instances I would use a 3-12 Burris LER, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with a rifle scope for the longest distances or for fun target work.
Both require a different style of holding the handgun. If you already have both I would try each and see which you like the most.
I use high powered rifle scopes on a good number of my specialty handguns with case capacities of the 06 up to the Dakota or STW capacity.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

Charger

Thanks for the input, Ernie and Uncle B! I have a 3-12 coming and a better barrel, too, so it is a work in process. Best regards, Bob
Old 01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Charger

I Take it that you could have a .920 barrel cut down to use on this.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Had a 10-22 many years ago that was used mostly for trapping/coon hunting. The stock got broken in an interesting confrontation with a coon so it might have been modified to a pistol grip and when the front site was broken off the barrel might have lost a few inches to just ahead of the stock. Rumor has it that this was one handy unit!!
A conversation with Ruger(in the early 1980's) about makeing something along this lines informed me of the consequenses if this unit actualy existed :eek: They also thought it would be a good idea but at the time Bill was haveing issues with mag capacities :mad:
Glad to se they finaly worked it out and come out with a legal way of doing this as its always been a great idea. One of them Bushnell hollow sites (Spelling?) or something similar would compliment the setup well IMHO
That being said the 10-22 works great as a cabine and a Buckmark or similar auto works great for a pistol. It would be great if we could convert an old 10-22 to a pistol but that aint happening without a LOT of paperwork :(
That old rumor didnt turn out that bad after a few new parts
Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

The Charger

UPDATE--Yep-I got the Burris 3-12 w/dots. The most interesting part was ordering a 920 SS barrel---the mfg. said I couldn't make a short one, it was illegal on a 10/22, even after I explained it is a CHARGER--not a 10/22. Both are registered trademarks and a Charger is a pistol. After being so I warned, I asked if I could order a .920 SS barrel and have them cut & crown it. "Nope, that would be illegal" JEEZ-I explained again, then just tried to order a full-size one. "Oh, we are 3-4 months out on production" My next step was to look in GunBroker.com and hit the Buy-It-Now button on the same barrel from a place in Florida, for $10 less!!!! That barrel came two days later, is now cut to 11" and crowned, and if I hadn't had the flu for 3 days and it wasn't raining, I would be at the range with it NOW. I live in Georgia and after last year's drought, I can not complain about the rain. Going to Reno and SCI tomorrow so the project will wait until next week. I will update again with some accuracy results and I do really appreciate the comments you all shared with me.