Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Proper barrel break in for new Savage 93R17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Proper barrel break in for new Savage 93R17

Not intending to start any arguments either, but just thought I'd post it for discussion. My thought was that compared to "most" of the calibers we shoot the 17HMR would probably not put a lot of stress or wear on the inside of a barrel, so breaking it in would probably not be all that important. The general consensus is that a 22LR causes very minimal wear and though I know that the 17HMR is different I'm not sure how much, especially when it comes to bore wear.

FYI, I spend time breaking in my new stainless Weatherby last year - before I read either of those threads. It cleans up almost immediately now. Was that the result of the break in? The stainless? Dunno. But, it sure is nice. ;)
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Well Im sure Ill get flamed real good for this one
I have two 17hmrs and shoot close to if not more than 1000 rounds every spring.
I did no break in at all on either gun and sometimes ill get 300-500 rounds through one before even thinking about cleaning it.
No I dont shoot my long range guns like this but my 17's I do.
I have been shooting on of them for about 10 years now and it just gets better with age. Both are tac drivers and have confirmed kills out to 300 yards with my wife shooting (real good conditions)
Shhot it have a lot of fun and drag a bore snake through it everynow and then.
retiredcpo
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
Well Im sure Ill get flamed real good for this one
I have two 17hmrs and shoot close to if not more than 1000 rounds every spring.
I did no break in at all on either gun and sometimes ill get 300-500 rounds through one before even thinking about cleaning it.
No I dont shoot my long range guns like this but my 17's I do.
I have been shooting on of them for about 10 years now and it just gets better with age. Both are tac drivers and have confirmed kills out to 300 yards with my wife shooting (real good conditions)
Shhot it have a lot of fun and drag a bore snake through it everynow and then.
retiredcpo
Why would you get flamed for not breaking in your rifle ?

The 17 HMR was designed to shoot "A LOT" and are one of the most fun rifles to have.

I like them so well I have built myself and a friend several custom rifles on Anschutz actions
and they are impressive to say the least.

I broke mine in because of the velocity(2500+ ft/sec) and whether it helped accuracy or not
is hard to tell all of the Lilja barreled 17s will shoot 10 rounds @ 100 yards well under 1/2
MOA all day long.

Bur they do shoot higher velocities than the factory ammo advertise (They Average 2574
ft/sec ) But that could be the great barrels that Lilja makes.

I recently bought a Weatherby MK XX11 in 17 HMR and I'm tempted to try shooting it without
breaking it in and after I get an accuracy and velocity average Clean it back to bare metal and
do a shoot and clean break in and see if it makes any difference in velocity and accuracy.

I know it has made a difference on the big bores that I came back and broke in later.

Again ; just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

They a A Lot of fun to shoot
In the spring we will shoot the whistlepigs all day long
They are great guns to have
Retiredcpo
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Bronze Member

I bought a new Savage MKII 17 HMR TR Saturday. Put 50 rounds through it. I'm going to clean it now & head back to the farm & shoot it some more. I don't have any idea how many rounds I'll run through it today, but I'll clean it again when I get back home. This is my first 17, and if the first 50 rounds were any indication I'm gonna' really like this rifle!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 PM

I am ex-Army... Not your's but an affiliate since 1900. Yes, I was in the Australian Army.

As such, we never had to "break-in" a new rifle /pistol/carbine because they were were all basically WWII hand me downs until the '60's when we got L1A1's and 9mm FN Browning's that were just 2nd hand. But OMC's or Owen Machine Carbines (9mm) were WWI jobs that we still used in RVN.

Having said all this, we never had an issue with any of the aforesaid (love that word) weapons but the one we did have troubles with was the US GPMG M60. I won't into that but as soldiers, we stripped, inspected and cleaned our weapons because they were our first route to survival.

Now that I am an Australian-American, I have a pocket revolver for street survival, an SA-XD service .357SIG to prevent home intrusion and a .22 WMR rifle just in case we need to survive outside urban areas.

A sorry state of affairs I know BUT at 65 with ailments like arthritis, heart attacks etc., baseball bats don't cut the mustard, do they.

I gave you all this crap as back ground to show you that I know more than just a little about firearms and the training I got over 45 years ago I have (I thought ) almost forgotten until I was attacked by an animal and dispatched the attacker calmly with a single shot to the heart from behind.

Now we get down to the meat an' potatoes of my little ditty. I do range practice on all 3 weapons once a month. One pull through on each with Hoppes #9 and as many pulls as it takes to get it smear free. Each weapon I purchased new and if I don't like what hits the target, it goes back to the manufacturer.

I don't go in for breaking in: waste of time, money and effort. I work on each weapon to the point where I KNOW I can trust it with my life, and that of those that I love. No other fancy BS matters. If you feel confident enough to put it in your hands and point it at an attacker/enemy/whatever, then you've done the right thing in looking after it because it will look after you, Mate

And that's my six-penneth worth , Fellas