Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Polar Bear Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

Polar Bear Kill

I just thought others might be interested in this account. A local Eskimo hunter in Wales AK took a ten foot Polar Bear with a 22LR rimfire with one shot behind the ear at 20 feet. Killed it instantly. There is no doubt as to the credibility of this story. I know the guy and he is for real. This is the largest animal I have ever heard of being taken with a rimfire. I think the 22 is the most underrated killer in the world.
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Cunningham; 03-25-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Polar Bear Kill

Everyone loves a .22lr. Some folks are just plain NUTTS! Thats pretty neat, Ill bet he's a ledgend now. Aint it amazing what you can do with the tools at hand when no-one is around to tell you that you cant.
I personaly wouldnt try it, but you can almost see the childlike innocence of this story. A guy in a zone, waiting for just the right shot, knowing if he screwed up even slightly that he would never live to tell the story, but not letting it enter his mind, just focused on the task at hand.
Remember what it was like as a kid, daydreamin about saving the world with your bb gun. I think this guy just pulled off the equivelant, in the eskimo world.
Wow. Insane, but way cool! Got any pics?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Ask the SOG guys about the usefulness of a 22.

An check with Mussod (spelling) and Delta F etc.

I received some special .22 rounds from a security group. The design range was about a foot. And ya didn't need a suppressor for indoor work.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

I am sorry. There are no pictures of the event. He did pull it off. He explained to me in the most simple manner that the 22 was the rifle he had at hand. He said he knew he would make the kill if he did his part. An amazing fellow! It took a lot more nerve than I have. I have seen a polar bear on the hunt and they are like land sharks. They have no fear. I can't imagine taking the shot.
Jerry
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

I've seen our butcher drop an 1100 pound steer with a 22lr, he dropped like he fell out of the sky with a well placed shot.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Bronze Member

Goose
I never thought of that. I know that many butchers use a 22 to put their animals down. I read an article on Sniper Hide or Sniper Country where a person put 22 holes through a store bought turkey wrapped in several layers of cloth. The bullets when completely through at 200 yards plus. I believe he was using Wolf ammo.
Sincerely,
Jerry
Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

the turkey story is on the hide.
Lethality of the 22LR- Results! - Sniper's Hide Forums

the biggest thing about the eskimos are that they use most effectively what they got. they don't have much, so they usually have .22lrs and .223's aroound to do everything they have to do due to their remoteness and lack of the luxury of supply.

i wouldn't want to mess around with any of them.