Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

new 17wsm,,,anyone seen 1 yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: new 17wsm,,,anyone seen 1 yet?

The earliest rifles won't be available until April, and Savage is the first to chamber for it. They developed a "new" rimfire and I thought it was a POS when I handled it last week at the SHOT show. Plastic stock, plastic trigger guard, rough bolt action. The Savage 93's I own are a much nicer rifle.

Hopefully some better rifles come out for this. I suspect that customers will be those who don't reload so a rimfire is easier and cheaper for them.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

I shot one of the new savage b mag at the shot show. Have one ordered. I think it will be very popular round. There are way more people who don't reload vs those who do. Compairing centerfire to rim fire is like comparing apples to oranges. Main reason I'm picking one up is cheap varmint plinking and I think will make a great night time coyote round since rim fire is all that's allowed at night. And at $15 per 50 not too expensive to shoot.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
.... And at $15 per 50 not too expensive to shoot.

Dang, that's what i've been paying for HMR....

t

Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Bronze Member

Yea, wait and see I bet you it will more like $19.00 + for the box of 50 wsm..
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback andy View Post
Yea, wait and see I bet you it will more like $19.00 + for the box of 50 wsm..
17 Winchester Super Mag | Rimfire Ammo | Ammo
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I guess I'll have to make room in the safe.... at $15 a box, Hornady better start dropping HMR prices...

t

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

As of yesterday, cant find one, the fella i use to order stuff for me says all his suppliers are out of stock, said he would back order one and let me know. Ammo for it seems to be pretty scarce for it to. Most all of the WMAs around here are shotgun and rimfire only so the WSM is apealing, especially on coyotes and hogs at longer ranges. To be honest, im kinda concerned about buying a gun that i cant get ammo for, hell ,im having trouble keeping my 22wmr fed! but were all having that trouble.....