Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

need help with pellet guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

need help with pellet guns.

ok, before i wrap my current gun around a tree i figure i would pick your minds. i have a ruger airhawk (i know, made in china). the thing just will not shoot straight. at ten yards i cant get it to consistantly hit the base of a pop can. i tried switching scopes, rings, and even tried straight sights no scope and it sux. is there anything i can do to help it
Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Re: need help with pellet guns.

You could try different pellets. What kind of pellets are you using? My gamo likes the crosman copperhead pellets.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Bronze Member

i have been through like 6 different types. i've tried the pointed and hollow point crossman pellets, pba raptors, i cant remember ther brands of the others but one was like a little ballistic tip, and the other had what looked like a little bb in the end of the pellet, and i have a tin of pellets right now that are flatnose. nothing seams to want to group at all. i have an old pump pellet rifle and it is more accurate.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

Try different holds on the gun. It's a springer, so it's recoil is bidirectional. Most want to be left alone to do their recoiling. Look into the artillery hold.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

The guys are on the right track here. Find a few pellets with round heads and give them a shot. There is a lot of hype in pellets right now but the most accurate pellets have and still are the round nosed design.

Springer are very hold sensitive, especially cheaper made guns. Make sure you hold the gun exactly the same way every time. Ideally you want the gun to be able to recoil with almost no interference from you. For me this means you lay the forearm of your stock on the palm of your hand and just let it rest there. Don't even wrap your fingers around the stock. Do this for offhand and shooting from a rest. Put you palm on the rest then let you gun just sit on the palm of your hand. Also, the trigger hand should just have enough resistance to hold the gun to your shoulder. Don't pull it tight into your shoulder. I don't even wrap my thumb over the stock but instead leave it on top. Squeeze and let that thing vibrate!

HTH,
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Try some round nose pellets, the crosman copperhead pellets my gun likes are round nose, my group size increases with pointed pellets.

I also lay my thumb on the top rather than wrap it around.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM

If you have one or the use of one try shooting it from a gun vise using the round nose pellets. I have found pellets around 10 grns or above are more accurate. Way slower of course but more accurate. Get it shooting the best you can this way then from there it will be a matter of your hold. I've also found shooting hundreds of pellets dosen't hurt .....I was so frustratrated I changed from a Gamo to the Benjamin Trail NP-XL. Nitro. So far 11.7 grn round nose pellets are in a 1 inch group at 25 yards. Good luck I hope you find a happy medium because air gun shooting is a blast and keeps me sharp all summer for my big guns and hunting in the fall.