Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Need an Accurate 22lr/17hmr/22mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Bronze Member

Need an Accurate 22lr/17hmr/22mag

Im looking for a really accurate rimfire caliber in either of those 3 calibers as listed above, or something that has decent ammo prices and ammo stock. This rifle will just be for punching paper and rockchucks. I'd prefer a bolt or lever action. My price range is under $500 not including scope.
My top choices have been:
Savage Mark II: 93 BTVS, 93 BRJ, 93 TR
CZ Series
These have been the top recommendations for my price range, The dealer (Sportsmens =/ ) said it would be pretty difficult to get a CZ or any of the other match grade rimfire rifles where I live. So just looking for some input, seeing what everyone else uses and has good results with.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need an Accurate 22lr/17hmr/22mag

I have only shot one Savage 22 but it was very accurate for the $200 that it cost. I myself owned a Savage 17 HMR that I paid $235 a few years back and it was the most accurate rimfire I had ever owned. It would keep 10 shots into 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards if there was no wind.

My little brother has a Ruger 77/22 that feels great and shoots even better. The trigger is absolutely terrible but he's still able to keep 5 shots around 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I liked his gun so much that when I found a Ruger 77/17 for sale I bought it and sold my savage. I also purchased a second barrel in 22 mag from Green Mountain barrels and I'm happy to report that it is now the most accurate rimfire I've ever owned.

When testing out different ammo in the 22 mag I had numerous 10 shot groups that went into the 1/2 inch mark at 100 yards. It became my practice rig because if I couldn't keep my groups small with that gun I knew I needed to work on my technique again.

I personally like the Ruger best because it feels more like a center fire rifle than any of the other rimfires do. However, If I were in your particular boat I'd probably go with the Savage just because it seems you're more likely to get one that shoots well and you can buy lots of ammo with the money you save. Also if you're going with a rifle to shoot rock chucks at further than 75 yards I'd tell you to go with a 17 hmr or the 22 mag. If your rifle is more of a plinking and target practice gun than I'd go with just a 22 lr.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

dittos on the 22mag. i have come to like that the best of all the rimfires. i have an old marlin tube fed that is a tackdriver. also have an anshutz woodchuck(small kids size rifle) that is a real shooter. the ammo for the 22 mag is about 5$ a box cheaper around here. AJ
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Alright, Thanks for your replies. Im really thinking about the Marlin XT series too, About half the price of the savage, but still a bull barrel and accutrigger (Marlins Version anyways)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 PM

As far as caliber goes...I would recommend .22 LR unless it's primarily a hunting gun or you need to frequently go beyond 100 yards on these rockchucks. If shots are routinely under 100 yards, then you don't need anything heavier than the .22 LR, imho.

For me, there is nothing better than for practice than a .22 LR due to the long barrel time, ability to spot my own hits, and relative inexpensiveness of ammo. I practice with Fed bulk pack 36g HP's and have no problem making hits on a 5" gong at 200 yards...if I do everything right and make a good wind call.

I use CCI Velocitors for hunting and kill a lot of groundhogs at right around 100 yards. 125 is my self-imposed max range for groundhogs with a .22 LR, but they are "DRT" every time I put the bullet in the chest or head at even those ranges.

The CZ seems to be better built than the Savage; nicer fit/finish, more solid feeling action and just as accurate or more so, but...the Savage is very hard to beat for the price. I hate the cheap stock on my Mark 2-FV, but it still consistently puts 5 Wolf MT's under .25" (center to center measurement) @ 50 yards, so I can live with that until I have the money for a stock upgrade.

As someone else mentioned, most of the Savages are excellent shooters, so it's hard to go wrong. Even their very basic model shoots great if you can get used to the crummy pre-AccuTrigger trigger. Wal-Mart still sells the Mark 2-F for about $125, I think.

Just my experience and a few thoughts. Take it for what it's worth.
Hope your search goes well!

-The Kid.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Deadly
Like you said Ive heard lots of people that say you cant go wrong with a Savage, But they do have the lower end of the stocks. Ive really taken a liking to this Marlin though. Wood stock, Marlins version of the Accu-Trigger, bull barrel and it had a very nice feeling action. Its about half the price of the Savage rifle, and about 1/3 of the price of the CZ. Whats your views on this Marlin? I believe its the Marlin XT-17V, But I couldve sworn it was a .22lr.
Marlin Model XT-17
I would prefer a .22lr vs 17 hmr. Just because of ammo prices.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 PM

You talking about this one: Marlin Model XT-22 ?

I have no personal experience with this, but it looks like a really nice entry-grade rifle.

It looks like a nice set of features and if you like the way it handles and are ok with the trigger, then the only thing to do is to find someone who can vouch for the accuracy. Marlin's are historically decent to great shooters and I'd be surprised if this isn't even better than the "oldies". I have a Marlin 15-YN that my kid sister loves to shoot...it's quite an accurate gun with the same Micro-groove rifling as the XT-22 barrels. I would imagine you will be very happy with that Marlin...esp for the prices I'm seeing

Tracked down a review on the rifle, but again, you need to find someone you trust to give you some feedback on the rifle's general accuracy capabilities.

The FAL Files Forums - Marlin XT22 Review - Out of the Box

Regardless of what rifle you buy, just "bite the bullet" and buy a box of as many difference ammo types as you can find and test them all through your gun before you settle on one for each application. As I mentioned, I have three different loads that I run through my gun; one each for hunting, competition/fine accuracy and one for practice/plinking. Rimfires -and especially .22's- are very individualistic; what shoots well in my rifle (even of the same make and model) may not shoot well from yours. I recommend that you play with the cheap stuff first and settle on the one that shoots best from your rifle. If your accuracy expectations are met, then you're done! But if you need more accuracy for certain applications, then keep the cheap stuff, but also experiment with some higher dollar "match" or "target" grade stuff in the $6-$10/50 rounds range and find the one that shoots best from your rifle. I recommend starting with CCI "blue box", Winchester T22's, and Wolf MT's or Wolf MT Extra's.

Best of luck and let us know how it shoots!