close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Marlin 917v misfires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

Marlin 917v misfires.

I was wondering if anyone else had a marlin 17hmr that was denting the case rim but not firing the round.I am shooting hornady ammo but any ammo will misfire randomly. I have had a gun smith work on the firing pin spring but that only made it some better. I also have a savage that will do the same thing but not as bad. Anyone else having this issue?

Unread 11-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Re: Marlin 917v misfires.

I had a similar problem with a savage 93r. I changed the trigger out to a Rifle Basix and use Hornady ammunition. Problem is 100% cured.
Unread 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Bronze Member

I have a marlin 917v 17hmr I had the same problem. I had my firing pin and spring both checked by my local gunsmith and they were fine but still had misfires. Another thing I noticed was I was getting some split necks on the casings once and a while. I had it checked again everything speckled perfectly and still had some problems. He got a hold of hornady and asked them about the problems and they told him that there were some issues with the 17hmr ammo. Some had bad primer. The splitting necks are do to the fact that these are derived from 22 mag casings which means the primer goes in before the case is necked down to the 17 cal which they cannot then anneal the neck making them brittle so it is quite common to see the occasional split casing. So I would say the gun is fine it is the ammo.
Unread 01-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

Also as far as the ammo goes it doesn't matter if it is hornady remington cci etc. They are all manufactured by CCI just to each manufacturer's specs
Unread 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

I had the same problems. I fixed mine by buying a Ruger American 17hmr.