Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

looks covered very well here. Fluting imho is for looks. They look really cool! Now I know that some one is going to get mad at me and give a whole speal about some technical mumbo jumbo; I know that some guys talk about weight and rigidity but if you got a big barrel it looks so much cooler if its fluted. If there is an accuracy difference, I cant tell it. I suppose the big boys who are doing serious shooting and trying to win some plastic know what they want for a good reason, but to me its all about the looks.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

So just shooting from the hip, how much weight would you think is saved by fluting something like a #5 or #6, 26" barrel?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
So just shooting from the hip, how much weight would you think is saved by fluting something like a #5 or #6, 26" barrel?
It depends on the depth, length, and number of flutes. I would guess you could save at least 1 pound and possibly 2. But that's a total guess on my part. I could model it up in CAD and give you a better idea tomorrow if you're interested.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

this is very interesting . I would be interested to know Browninglover1. As far as it goes for me just recreational shooting its not going to matter either way.

I like learning new things. I feel like it will make me smarter.