Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

any advantages from one to the other or is one better suited to one style of shooting over the othe. I'd like to here thoughts on this.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

Unless you are firing Full Auto, there's no need to run a fluted barrel. A heavy BBL works just fine. Eyeball some of the threads on Rimfire.com. you'll get 2 days of reading, from folks arguing the differences.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

yeah Im trying to eliminate that, and get some honest answers. I guess Im asking in general not just for a rimfire, but centerfire also.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

For rimfire and centerfire a fluted barrel provides a weight advantage for a given barrel diameter with the claim that it doesn't effect the rigidity of the barrel. In a center fire, it dissipates heat faster due to the increased surface area, and less mass. There is no effect on accuracy if the barrel is properly fluted. Whether these effects are noticeable enough to make an "observed" difference may be debatable. I have both rimfire and centerfire with both standard and fluted barrels. I can take them or leave them depending on the esthetics or availability of a given rifle.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
For rimfire and centerfire a fluted barrel provides a weight advantage for a given barrel diameter with the claim that it doesn't effect the rigidity of the barrel. In a center fire, it dissipates heat faster due to the increased surface area, and less mass. There is no effect on accuracy if the barrel is properly fluted. Whether these effects are noticeable enough to make an "observed" difference may be debatable. I have both rimfire and centerfire with both standard and fluted barrels. I can take them or leave them depending on the esthetics or availability of a given rifle.

YEP.. I will add that Krieger (I THINK) states on their site that a fluted barrel is actually more ridged than a non fluted barrel of the same contour..I think I have that right..I should go try to find that but I am too lazy

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
YEP.. I will add that Krieger (I THINK) states on their site that a fluted barrel is actually more ridged than a non fluted barrel of the same contour..I think I have that right..I should go try to find that but I am too lazy
This is close, but you remembered incorrectly. Removing material does not make something more rigid. However, flutes will allow a barrel to be more rigid than a non fluted barrel of the same weight, but the non fluted barrel has to be a smaller contour to weigh the same.

Read this link for more info:
Fluting
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
This is close, but you remembered incorrectly. Removing material does not make something more rigid. However, flutes will allow a barrel to be more rigid than a non fluted barrel of the same weight, but the non fluted barrel has to be a smaller contour to weigh the same.

Read this link for more info:
Fluting

OH GOTCHA! that makes more sence.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad