Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Get a load of this: I've been hunting BUMBLE BEES!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

A half inch drill bit and a cordless drill work great when they are in their holes....
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Get a load of this: I've been hunting BUMBLE BEES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
A half inch drill bit and a cordless drill work great when they are in their holes....
Wow, I'm amazed that his thread is still running so strong after all this time! Anyways, there are 2 huge negatives to the approach outlined above. One being the greatly increased risk of injury, if one has to go climbing around on ladders, in order to be able to get at the holes. The other, is that you just took all of the "fun" out of it, making it into something that now resembles (eek - just the thought of the word sends me reeling!), "work". But eventually, I AM going to have to get out the ladder and caulking gun (and maybe some paint), to fill in the holes. And if you think I'm going to give a damn as to whether or not the holes are occupied at the time, you better think again.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Silver Member

Oops, I forgot to mention 1 other thing, regarding the previously mentioned approach (actually 2 other things, now that I think about it): First off, with drill in hand, I would feel as if I was working WITH them, and thereby AGAINST myself! My true desire is for all drilling to STOP. The other thing is that the method is probably largely ineffective. That's because the typical carpenter hole only goes straight in for maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then it takes a hard 90 degree turn, before the final 2-3", where the offenders and their cocoons are located.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat
Oops, I forgot to mention 1 other thing, regarding the previously mentioned approach (actually 2 other things, now that I think about it): First off, with drill in hand, I would feel as if I was working WITH them, and thereby AGAINST myself! My true desire is for all drilling to STOP. The other thing is that the method is probably largely ineffective. That's because the typical carpenter hole only goes straight in for maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then it takes a hard 90 degree turn, before the final 2-3", where the offenders and their cocoons are located.
They get alil more carried away there I guess, ours just go straight bout an inch...no turns, and are almost exactly 1/2" diameter....side note, I shot one the other day with my 17hmr, 20g fmj puts alil bitty hole right through em, don't know if I got the hornet on the clover though.17g tnt took out half the flower...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
side note, I shot one the other day with my 17hmr, 20g fmj puts alil bitty hole right through em
Ah, how do I say this? I'm having trouble with that one. I really hate to put it like this, but you leave me no other option than to call you on it. The 17 may be a tiny round, but even a 20gr FMJ traveling at over 2,000fps is going to create a "wound channel" that is larger than any bee out there. That "animal" should have been 99% vaporized. The only way it could made a hole like you described is if it was traveling MUCH slower, like 6-700fps or less. Is it possible that you were mistaken about that lil bitty hole?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM

I had nearly 300' of 3 rail split rail fence. Carpenter bees weren't so bad, but the Woodpeckers (Pileated, Red-Belly and Red-Headed) that came after the Larvae were damn destructive!! Holes underneath were no issue unless you went looking, but the Woodpeckers they don't have x-ray vision and mostly miss a little and then you got a big mess!!!

High Standard Sharpshooter with CCI shotshell was my weapon of choice for the bees. The woodpeckers, well they taste just like Bald Eagle. ;-)

Last edited by Harry Sanders; 09-19-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling omission
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

3-4 grs of Bullseye, a card wad then a case full of Cream of Wheat, walnut hulls or corncobs and another wad, seal with Elmers glue in a .44 or .45 Colt case makes for good wingshooting sport too