Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

CCI TNT ammo sucks...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

CCI TNT ammo sucks...?

A while back I bought a brick of CCI 30 grain TNT ammo in .22 WMR, it was cheap and VERY fast, but after the first box I noticed that it had an AWFUL fouling issue!

I cleaned the barrel, squeaky-clean and fired one 3 shot group at 50 yards- CTC it was .75''- decent. So I fired another- CTC 1.4'', and so on and so forth. Every group I shot widened out until it hit 2.5'' and then it hovered around that.

I cleaned it again, and shot another group around .65'' but then it widened out again over the next groups!

I had a suspicion, so I finally cleaned it out and fired ONE shot, pointed the muzzle down over a white sheet of paper, and tapped the buttplate- unburnt powder spilled out onto the paper.

Looking down the bore with the bolt removed it looked like someone had poured sand down the barrel.

Now here's the really weird part, IF I swab the bore every shot like a muzzleloader the CCI ammo will shoot groups of less than .20'' CTC at 50 yards!

My gun isn't very picky about ammo, and it's fairly normal to find a few grains of unburnt powder left in the bore after a shot with any ammo in this gun, but what happened with the CCI stuff was unacceptable.

So, has anyone else seen this problem with their CCI ammunition, or is this some bizarre fluke?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: CCI TNT ammo sucks...?

What is the barrel length? I am currently shooting a Savage and have had no fouling problems.

I do get consistantly better accuracy out of the 30 gr v-max loadings. CCI or Horandy, both shoot the same for me.

The TNT on the other hand, shoots about 4" lower. Have a better first shot kill rate on coyotes, and less pelt damage with the V-max. But do get a kick out of the explosion of feathers the TNT gives me on Starlings.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: CCI TNT ammo sucks...?

Yeah you can say that again! The TNT is probably the most devastating WMR load on little critters.

My barrel is 21 inches long, same as any other Savage .22 Mag, however I chronographed the ammo and, at about 10 degrees Celcius, it was doing over 2400 FPS!