Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

best starter rifle for a 7yr old,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Bronze Member

best starter rifle for a 7yr old,

i want to get my middle boy his first rifle, his 10 yr old brother has a 22lr, a 243, and a 20 gauge, and he shoots his 22, and loves it, so i want to get him his own, now he wants to be like dad, and see's all my long range rigs, so i don't know if i can just go get him a chipmunk and not have him think that dad went cheapo on him, ive seen a couple little razzu rifles at gun shows but cant remember the make of them, does anyone know who makes a cool little rifle that looks like a target or long range rifle, i think he would get a kick out of it if i kind find one for him, thanks in advance for your time and help..

Matt..
Old 06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: best starter rifle for a 7yr old,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT300RUM View Post
i want to get my middle boy his first rifle, his 10 yr old brother has a 22lr, a 243, and a 20 gauge, and he shoots his 22, and loves it, so i want to get him his own, now he wants to be like dad, and see's all my long range rigs, so i don't know if i can just go get him a chipmunk and not have him think that dad went cheapo on him, ive seen a couple little razzu rifles at gun shows but cant remember the make of them, does anyone know who makes a cool little rifle that looks like a target or long range rifle, i think he would get a kick out of it if i kind find one for him, thanks in advance for your time and help..

Matt..
Get him a ruger 10/22 and trick it out, new barrel stock and whatnot that can be reltively cheap and he'll have a blast!!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabelas90 View Post
Get him a ruger 10/22 and trick it out, new barrel stock and whatnot that can be reltively cheap and he'll have a blast!!

ive got a tricked out 10/22, but my sons first rifle will not be a semi auto, i want a cool bolt gun for his first, plus i don't want to be shot in the shin after he hit's something and spins around to tell me about it..
Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Since he will be interested in shooting long range like his dad, get him a 22win mag. Marlin makes some nice ones.

Marlin Model 982VS

You can cut the stock down to fit him. Put a 1" diameter scope on it and it will look just like dad's rifle.

If you scroll down this post...... My 243 you will see a cool pic of the authors son with his 22.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

I would recomend a heavy barreled 223, like a 700P or similar version. There is practically no recoil, you can trick it out with all of dads "cool stuff" and he can actually shoot at long range.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

If you are thinking of moving up past air rifles, I'd say a bolt action or single shot 22 lr. I have a CZ 413 and love it. However, I learned to shoot using a crossman air rifle. That would be my first choice for a young boy like that. Glad to see your not getting him a semi- auto ;) learn to hit with the first round!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know of a scaled down 22 as you describe. I figured I'd mention what I did for my daughters fist rifle. First, she has a little Henry mini bolt 22, and so some experience.

I bought her a ruger compact in 243. I cut down the stock and installed a pachmayer pad. I also use a reduced load equal in recoil to a 223. This makes for a pleasant shooting rig she can run long range with, and never outgrow. The rifle is camo and fitted with a bipod. She is amazingly capable at long range, and tickled with her rig!