Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Best 22 cal rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Best 22 cal rifle

Looking for opinions on what the best .22 cal. rifle would be. With the high cost of ammo and it being easier to find places to shoot to 50 yards, I am in the need for a good bolt action 22 that feels and handle similar to the full size Rem. 700 & Browning A-bolts my kids shoot. I need to get them more trigger time and practice for quicker set-up on targets for hunting. Accuracy is a must should be able to get 5 shot dime size groups. And I would have to be able to adjust the trigger to between 2 & 3 lbs. This 22 would be scoped and they would be practicing a lot prone w/ bipod, and sitting with and without shooting sticks. I am looking at the Ruger 77/22 and CZ 455 Varmint and was wondering what others would suggest. Thanks for any input.
Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best 22 cal rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIK2HNT View Post
Looking for opinions on what the best .22 cal. rifle would be. With the high cost of ammo and it being easier to find places to shoot to 50 yards, I am in the need for a good bolt action 22 that feels and handle similar to the full size Rem. 700 & Browning A-bolts my kids shoot. I need to get them more trigger time and practice for quicker set-up on targets for hunting. Accuracy is a must should be able to get 5 shot dime size groups. And I would have to be able to adjust the trigger to between 2 & 3 lbs. This 22 would be scoped and they would be practicing a lot prone w/ bipod, and sitting with and without shooting sticks. I am looking at the Ruger 77/22 and CZ 455 Varmint and was wondering what others would suggest. Thanks for any input.
Bill
You will probably get lots of different 22s recommended and I have my favorite to just like everyone else.

I like and use the Anschutz. and would highly recommend them . I have never had one that didn,t
shoot really good. I also have two Anschutz in 17 HMR and they are tack drivers.

They are Hi end rifles but well worth the money.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

The Cooper 57 M is also an accurate out of the box rimfire rifle.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Absolutely love my CZ 455. I have the full stock version and my brother has the varmint. We both did th eYoDave trigger spring jobs on them and took them down to 2-3lbs range. I don't think the heavy varmint barrel is necessary in 22lr and my brother wishes he had gotten the American or FS versions. My advice would be get the American and if you want a heavy barrel buy the Lilja. My FS with subsonic Eley ammo will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards (many groups in the .2-.3's but accompanied by some in he .6-.7's). That's the nature of .22 though. Fliers happen but my gun will hold MOA out past 100 yards. A scope capable of parallaxing down to 50 yards would help too. I really love ringing my smaller metal gongs out at 150-200 yards. The pitiful BC of a .22 LR will really force you to learn o read the wind. I would not hesitate one second in suggesting a CZ 455 as a practice gun for long range bolt action. That's exactly what I bought mine for.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

I have a couple of Savage 22's, a BVSS thumbhole, and the TR which has a tactical stock. Both have good stocks with heavy barrels that give the weight, balance, and dimensions that make them good practice rifles with a feel that isn't much different from my high power rigs. They will both shoot 5 shot, 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Wolf, Federal, and Remington/Eley match grade ammo. My son in law just bought a TR and it shoots as well as mine. Great rifles for the money. iMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

I think for the money Savage rifles are hard to beat. My BTVLSS shoots great, it has a Mueller 4.5-14 APT on it, the parallax will adjust down to 15 yards.

This is 50 yards.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM

I think if you are looking for a trainer/hunter to duplicate the feel of a full size bolt gun I would look at CZ if your looking for a new gun. But I would look at used guns first. If you can find any used you could not do much better than a Kimber or Cooper. But old Remington's, Mossberg's, Winchesters or Savages would work for you.