Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

Airgun scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Airgun scope

Now do air rifles use a different scope then regular rifles? I need a new scope on my pellet gun, and need to know before I make a move on one.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Airgun scope

All depends on your air gun. They do make special scopes for spring powered air rifles but i don't believe that they are really necessary. I have an RWS 34 and i threw on a center point 22 rim fire scope(found at your local walmart) with the mil dot reticle and BOOM! I made a tack driver! I can hit eggs every shot @ 80 yards as long as the wind isnt terrible. If the wind is blowing then you can just forget it because that 177. pellet wont take it. I hit a crow @ 134 yards with it as well. So if your looking for a good scope then id give that a go. But to answer your question yes they do make special scopes for spring powered scopes. BSA makes one that i found in Natchez.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

So does Leupold if you don't mind paying a grand for one. I know, I have one.

Actually, most high end air gun rated scopes are designed for the rapid back and forth motion a spring air gun imparts but you can use any scope actually. Modern erector mechanisms will take the back and forth motion in stride without any issues.

I actually have my leupold on a benchrest 223 target rifle, not on a spring/air rifle. I wanted that particular reticle and I wanted an AO ocular foir benchrest plus target (extended) turrets and Leupold's air gun scope filled the bill exactly, for a grand.

I plainly says Leupold Air Rifle Scope on the gold ring but you have to get up close to read it and no one does when I shoot. All they see is the gold ring, not the engraved wording.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Interesting. I didnt know that there was a leupy air gun scope. Also there is Leapers air gun scopes. Dont really know the price. I dont really get into air gunning becase if i need something small then i go with a 22 and have a ton more fun with that than a pellet gun. I do use mine for indoors rat and mouse shooting and for cleaning chipmunks and squirrels off my bait pile when i dont want to be noisy.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply's. Thats the info that I was looking for!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

FYI, Hawke Optics also offers an air gun specific line of scopes with specialy reticles just for spring/air. Pretty inexpensive (compared th the Leupold) too.

I believe the Hawke lins is called the Airmax.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Most good scopes will be fine on air rifles,you need the better ones on spring guns not a problem on pcp rifles.The mention of air gun scopes specific really refers to the closer range of air guns where parallax becomes more of a problem .Most fixed power scopes have parallax set at 100yds though air gun would be 35-50yds.
So it is handy to get say a 3-9x40AO which gives you adjustable parallax at your desired range.
Hope this is of help.