Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

4 more reasons to weigh rimfire ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

4 more reasons to weigh rimfire ammo

turkey season starts this week, so i switch from 30 gr hornady vmax to CCI 40 gr FMJ for penetration. was at the range today to confirm my zero, when i hear "click". damn a missfire, so i eject, but no bullet in the case. so i stuck the cleaning rod in, tapped out the bullet that was stuck in the barrel. no big deal it happens, i guess. chamber another round, "click". same thing. happened 4 times.

when i buy ammo, i weigh them and put them into certain weight lots that work the best, then there are the practice rounds, then the stuff that's way out of my specs that i use for foulers. i even have a lot marked as "junk" on the box for foulers or just for "blowing". these four happened to be in that lot, and now i see why - no powder in them!
so i'm glad i do weigh them, that these showed they were out of my specs, and that only a certain ones make it to my target / hunting lot.
that would have really sucked next week having belly crawled across the field to get ahead of that big gobbler in the field, set up just right, range him, put the crosshairs on him, squeeze, then "click". with no rigid cleaning rod to tap out the bullet.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 4 more reasons to weigh rimfire ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by top predator View Post
turkey season starts this week, so i switch from 30 gr hornady vmax to CCI 40 gr FMJ for penetration. was at the range today to confirm my zero, when i hear "click". damn a missfire, so i eject, but no bullet in the case. so i stuck the cleaning rod in, tapped out the bullet that was stuck in the barrel. no big deal it happens, i guess. chamber another round, "click". same thing. happened 4 times.

when i buy ammo, i weigh them and put them into certain weight lots that work the best, then there are the practice rounds, then the stuff that's way out of my specs that i use for foulers. i even have a lot marked as "junk" on the box for foulers or just for "blowing". these four happened to be in that lot, and now i see why - no powder in them!
so i'm glad i do weigh them, that these showed they were out of my specs, and that only a certain ones make it to my target / hunting lot.
that would have really sucked next week having belly crawled across the field to get ahead of that big gobbler in the field, set up just right, range him, put the crosshairs on him, squeeze, then "click". with no rigid cleaning rod to tap out the bullet.

I have never thought about weighing rim fire cases/ammo but it sounds like i should to
see if it will improve accuracy/Consistency.

The next time I go to the range I will weigh the 17 HMR ammo to see if the different weights
effect accuracy.

It will be interesting to see if it does and what will shoot the best.

I have never had a round with no powder but stranger things have happened.

With the ammo situation of today I suspect the quality control is not as good as in the past.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM