Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

.22 scope for 4-H competition.... Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

.22 scope for 4-H competition.... Help!

I need some suggestions for a scope for my daughter (age 12) to use for 4-H .22 competitions.

4-H rules restrict scopes to max of 9X. Competitions are 3 position shoots at various ranges from 25 to 75 yards. Most of the kids in her local club use rifles supplied by the club. The club rifles all have BSA "Sweet 22" scopes with target turrets and parallax adjustment. They like the BSA because it is cheap and keep telling me to get her one, but I have always associated "BSA" with "JUNK".

I have my daughters rifle (a Savage MK II) set up with a Leupold MK 4 2.5-8X40. I know it is overkill, but I had it on an AR15.

The problem is parallax. That model of MK 4 does not have a parallax adjustment and at those short ranges the parallax is terrible. I can shoot it quite well, but she has not quite got the "cheek weld" thing down yet so the lack of a parallax adjustment is really opening up her groups.

All that to ask this........ What is a good scope for a .22 that has dependable target turrets, parallax adjustment and does not go above 9X??

Most "good" scopes with target turrets go above 9X. The few I have found that don't, like my MK 4 are fixed parallax. I am sure there is a good scope out there and am hoping one of you guys have run into this and can make a good suggestion or two.

I don't mind spending a little money to get something good, it just has to meet the 9X rule with turrets and parallax adjustment.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

Re: .22 scope for 4-H competition.... Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
I need some suggestions for a scope for my daughter (age 12) to use for 4-H .22 competitions.

4-H rules restrict scopes to max of 9X. Competitions are 3 position shoots at various ranges from 25 to 75 yards. Most of the kids in her local club use rifles supplied by the club. The club rifles all have BSA "Sweet 22" scopes with target turrets and parallax adjustment. They like the BSA because it is cheap and keep telling me to get her one, but I have always associated "BSA" with "JUNK".

I have my daughters rifle (a Savage MK II) set up with a Leupold MK 4 2.5-8X40. I know it is overkill, but I had it on an AR15.

The problem is parallax. That model of MK 4 does not have a parallax adjustment and at those short ranges the parallax is terrible. I can shoot it quite well, but she has not quite got the "cheek weld" thing down yet so the lack of a parallax adjustment is really opening up her groups.

All that to ask this........ What is a good scope for a .22 that has dependable target turrets, parallax adjustment and does not go above 9X??

Most "good" scopes with target turrets go above 9X. The few I have found that don't, like my MK 4 are fixed parallax. I am sure there is a good scope out there and am hoping one of you guys have run into this and can make a good suggestion or two.

I don't mind spending a little money to get something good, it just has to meet the 9X rule with turrets and parallax adjustment.
How much is a "little money" talking scopes there could be a HUGE difference. I've got a Nikon Monarch with turrets that's been great so far, tracks reliably, good-enough glass, will easily focus down to 25yds. I got it for a CZ22 that I shoot from 25-250yds.I wouldn't call it cheap, but I don't think I payed more than $400 for it couple years ago.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

My girls grown, and your dilemma makes me smile with fond memories, THANK YOU. If you like your Leupold, they used to change parallax settings reasonably on request. Call them and if not, I bet they have someone they can refer you too. Years ago they sent me to Premier, but I heard they are doing it all in house now.
While on the phone see if they would put target turrets on their VX 11, 3-9 rimfire, it has
adjustable objective.
Dad to dad-consider going with the BSA the club recommends.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Have you looked at Leupolds 3x9 rimfire scope? It has adjustable parallax and they could probably install turrets on it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post

I would say go with a quality scope, and leave the BSA on the shelf. Leupold makes the VX-3 4.5-14x40mm with adjustable parallax. I don't know how the rules are for 4-H but I have shot some competitions where scope power was limited and the officials would allow it to be set at the maximum power and then just put a piece of tape on the adjustment ring. I think that you would be more satisfied knowing that you had provided a quality piece of glass for her and most important with the quality optics that may just give her an edge over the competition. If she does good to start with she may not lose interest as fast.

The adjustable parallax feature is a must especially for the young shooter. Even though experienced shooters may not have trouble with fixed parallax scopes, as you said she hasn't got her cheek weld down yet and the A.O. well cure that, hence another edge over some of the competition.

I just went to the Lepuold site and in their custom shop they will put target turrets on for $49.99 each, heck, they'll even customize the color if you want 'em to. The only thing that would be a concern to you is the fact that it would go to 14 power, and again I think that you'll find that the officials will let you "fix" the scope at 9 power and tape it.

As far as the rimfire scope that Leupold makes, I had a chance to look at one and for my money I would leave it on the shelf too. The one I was looking at just didnt measure up in my book. I know I was comparing it to a VX-3 but there was a good bit of difference that I could see.

I have always been one to say " You don't have to buy the best, but buy the best that you can afford". I think I would go with the little more expensive for the "edge" that it would give to your daughter... Just my two cents worth, BK.

Last edited by BlackKnight755; 04-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

Thanks to everyone who replied, I have been out of state turkey hunting and then kind of forgot about this post so sorry taking a while to reply.

threejones, "a little money" is as much as it takes, although I would probably draw the line before I got to a $3K S&B. Seriously, I would not hesitate to spend $500 or $600 or maybe more for a good quality optic that fit my needs...... after all I have a MK 4 on it now!

HARPERC, That is a good suggestion about contacting Leupold's custom shop. I knew they would install target turrets and such like but I did not know they could or would change the parallax. I will have to give that some thought and call them.

Thanks again to all who replied
Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 PM

I took a few minutes to look for scopes that fit the description you gave. I did not find much, but on swfa some of the Hawke models looked close. There is also a new post on the Hide in the rimfire section about a Simmons. I have no experience with any of these scopes, but they aren't very expensive. It may be worth a few minutes to check out. Good luck in your search and good luck to your daughter in her shooting. I hope to find some time between other sports to get my girls more involved with shooting.
Bruce