Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

17 hmr stuck in barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM

17 hmr stuck in barrel

Purchased a new savage bolt action 17hmr yesterday. I took it out today to get sighted in. I was shooting a half used box of Remington 17 grain bullets. Let me start by saying that the first half of this box went through my Marlin 917 without any problems. I tried loading a round in my savage after having fired a few shots and found that it would not chamber all the way. I was like what the ****. There must have been a dead round in the box and when the primer fired it shot the bullet about a quarter inch into the barrel. Good thing I was'nt able to shoot another bullet into it. I had ear plugs screwed almost to the brain so i did not notice the difference in the shot compared to the others. I hope the dead round was just a fluke and not a problem for the future. I also noticed that the rounds that I did fire had split cases. I don't recall that the marlin had split cases with this ammo. What would cause one rifle to split cases and one not to?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 17 hmr stuck in barrel

Check to see if any of the case necks are cracked in the rest of the box.I have had this happen.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

Supposedly CCI makes all the 17 HMR ammo and just puts different labels and different colored tips depending on what "brand" of ammo it is. That being said, Remington ammo has always sucked in all the 17's I've tried it in. I get terrible accuracy and more split necks with the Remington stuff than any other brand. I'd stick with Hornady or CCI because they simply have worked better for me in every 17 I've shot them in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

My savage likes winchester and hornady ammo....I never had a problem with the Remingtons cause i never shot them....even tho cci makes most of the ammo the cci brand ammo didn't group like I like my 17 grouping...(10 in a dime size hole prone from a bipod at 100) measure the rim thickness on the Remington vs the hornady ammo.....my brothers marlin don't care what brand it is it'll shoot, my savage will shoot any brand that I've fed it but a buddies savage won't shoot anything other than hornady....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1
Supposedly CCI makes all the 17 HMR ammo.
CCI used to make it all, a lot of companys are now making their own but I can't remember who was other than winchester...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Hornady is definitely the best out of my Savage BTV, and I've tried just about everything brand/bullet-wise except for the new NTXs. I've also seen a few split case necks in various 17 HMR ammo, but never had one lose pressure because of it. They usually split on the pressure increase, so I don't think that one was charged with enough powder.

Something to note, Remington is the only company that had a 17 HMR and 17 HMR 597 rifle recall. I know they said it shouldn't be fired in semi-auto firearms, but why did they have a recall and no one else?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

What would cause one rifle to split cases and one not to?[/QUOTE]

One problem could be the rifle chamber is out of spec, slightly too large allowing the brass to expand too far and then split. I don't know if they make go no go gauges for the hmr, but you could ask a smith.
db