Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

.17 Hmr Cz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Gold Member

.17 Hmr Cz

Fifty yard, five shot group. Fired from bipod on a picnic table w/Hornady V-Max ammo. I was pleased!

The little CZ rifle. Well made and shoots great! It's going to be a present for my son - but I figured I'd sight it in first and make sure it shoots good. It does.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've got one of those turds -although it's the american model not the varmint.

My shoots about the same lousy way -and the groups really open up out at 100yds. .6-.7".

Somehow i've managed to kill hundreds of ground squirrels -praire dogs -crows -jackrabbits few -coyotes- etc etc -and wouldn't take double what i paid for it ..........

CZ rifles are one of the best buys there are...

Good shooting----------ME
Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Pieces of junk, I can't get mine to shoot larger groups than .5MOA

Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Guy,

Sometime have me show you the 100yd group from mine... for a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, it's just about disgusting ;)

I took it along this year when Mikey and I went down to ISSC; we stopped by in Enterprise OR on the way back and did our bit to try and save a farmer's newly planted alfalfa field from an Al Queda cell of ground squirrels The crows and hawks were *very* happy with us!

About the American vs. Varmint version thing... when I bought mine, it looked suspiciously like a Varmint version (I've had several American models, in .22 LR and .22 WMR) but the store owner was adamant that that was the .17 HMR American version and they didn't make a Varmint version of the .17 yet. That particular store sells enough of them that I'd think they'd know, but in the end I didn't really care. It carries nicely, it shoots...

The only upgrades I've done to mine are a Brookie trigger shim/spring kit to take up some of the slop and reduce the trigger pull to about 6-8 oz., and some new stock bolts (allen head instead of those old-school slotted screws). Neither absolutely necessary, but they do make the gun that much nicer.

Monte
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: .17 Hmr Cz

Been looking over the 17s. Ruger, Remington, CZ, Savage. What made you guys choose the 452? I understand that there is now available the 453 with a single set trigger. Anyone....
db
Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

The reputation for stellar accuracy right out of the box. That and when I took a hard look at the rifle, it seemed to be of very good quality.

Nothing against the others - came close to buying one of them - but the CZ seemed to really do it for me with quality and accuracy. I was certainly not disappointed with the accuracy.

Regards, Guy
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for your post. I see several manufactures make trigger parts and firing pin springs for the 452. Would you recommend these?
db