Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rimfire and Airguns

.17 HMR or .22 Mag ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

not truly a custom bbut I have a sako quad with a lilja barrel in 22mag and it will shoot around .6 @ 100, some better some worse and I am sure its the ammo, my gun loves the rem premire but will shoot even better with some ossi, not sure if you can even get it anymore but I bought a case a few yrs back and when it runs out I will go with the rem,
just for info I also have a custom 17hmr on a remington 40X action with a lilja and it shoots better than the magnum at 100 and more but at 50 they are equal.

Jared
Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Jared, Exactly what I was wondering about. Thanks. Lilja recommends a .224 centerfire barrel in a 15 twist for the Mag. I haven't talked to Shilen yet. Still going to start with the .22 Mag. because of the heavier bullet.

Again, thanks to all.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 05-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Bronze Member

.17 all the way

I don't know about .22 Mag but i have a Sako Quad with a Green Mountain barrel and nightforce 8-32 nxs- this eats f.m.j and federal v.shock - the barrels been spiral fluted and diamond lapped- this key holes @100 and i achieved sub 1"@275 yards- also the dumbest most unlucky rabbit came out the hedge and decided to have its last feed right by the 250 yard target- a full metal put him straight down-

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Has anyone built or bought a custom barreled (Shilen, Lilja, etc.) .22 Mag? I would like to know if it is possible for the .22 Mag to be as accurate as the .17 HMR before I decide which one to build. I have seen a couple of JE Custom .17 HMR's shoot under 1/2 moa at 100 yds, and wonder if the .22 Mag can do it.

Thanks, Tom