Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Wish us luck.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wish us luck.

This weather isn't helping MI deer hunters right now. 60 out, raining and windy. Many of the farmers still have lots of standing corn, which is most likely full of deer. For myself, I've seen some small bucks but no shooters. A neighboring camp took a nice 8pt that I'd been bow hunting all fall. Was the hunter's very first deer and I'm happy as heck for that guy. Buck poles have a few nice deer on them but, numbers are low with this weather.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

We took two nice doe on Saturday near Fremont, both with rifle.

I hope to repeat this Saturday using pistol, possibly TC Contender in 243 and S&W 629 in 44 Mag.

Then, after Thanksgiving, I'm really hoping to repeat with ML and 12 ga shotgun if everything works out. Shotgun was sighted in on Sunday, and I'm hoping to sight in the ML mid day Saturday between deer hunts. I worked on scope mounting this evening.

If so, it would be an impressive year to use all the different firearms and be successful. Most years I get nothing, but new contacts and new hunting lands seem to be in our favor.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Been a couple nice muzz bucks taken so far this year in the regular firearm season. The weather and all that wind put a damper on most everyone's hunting, that and to much standing corn left. Speaking of standing corn, they're picking across the road right now........ Once that standing corn is down, they'll move more and now.... we need about 6" of snow then its game on........
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

How did/is everyone faring up north?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Silver Member

Seems to be a slower year this year. Last summer's EHD outbreak in the southern part of the state didn't help. Also many of the large corn fields didn't come done, with some still standing. Around my specific area, shots have in low numbers but, some fair bucks have been taken. Today's the last day of the regular firearm season, with an 11 day wait for the muzz season. Crops should all be down by then, giving better chances to score.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

Low deer numbers where I hunt in Washtenaw county. Have seen 1 buck and 3 doe during firearm season. No chance at a shot. In zone 1 and 3 muzzleloader season starts on Dec 6 so a 1 week break after today.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Low deer numbers where I hunt in Washtenaw county. Have seen 1 buck and 3 doe during firearm season. No chance at a shot. In zone 1 and 3 muzzleloader season starts on Dec 6 so a 1 week break after today.
Pray for COLD..... WIND.... SNOW. It puts them on the feed earlier. I started to hunt ag fields on Thanksgiving eve when cold, windy and snowing. Had 27 does and fawns start into the field at 4:00pm. When legal shooting light ended, there were still no antlers in the field. Now that the rush of the regular season is over and the break until muzz opens, they'll calm down and hopefully present themselves.