Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

whitetail bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: whitetail bullet

I'm fortunate that don't hunt a small plot and have to anchor a deer on the spot, which in most cases wastes considerable meat.

This doe was shot at 191yds with a Barnes 250gr TMZ through the boiler room, my preferred location. As with any bullet shot placement is critical but, a premium bullet is always better.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:43 AM

There are 2 versions of the Shockwave avaiable. You may be shooting the "bonded" version which is designed to give deeper penertration on larger game ie elk, moose etc. I use the regular version 300 gr version which which is sold with the EZ load sabot which does expand well . The Hornady SST is the same bullet. I don't believe they offer the bonded version.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:53 AM

Should have noted that the regular Shock Wave has a yellow tip and the bonded version has a blue tip.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

Pretty sure bonded and regular are sold both in EZ glide sabots. I think I almost bought the bonded by mistake. What would you use bonded for anyways moose at close range? Water buffalo?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 AM

Whitetails in our part of S Texas generally don't have near the body weight you find in states like Illinois, Iowa, Kansas etc. so I would use the bonded version on deer that size or mule deer, elk, moose etc or more likely use a Barnes MZ or TMZ 290 gr. The last Canadian moose I killed was well over 1100 lbs on the hoof so I wouldn't rely on the SST in any version or size to take care of an animal that big and tough.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

What Wisconsin doesn't have big deer? I still wouldn't use a bonded bullet on any whitetail. I should of video taped myself trying to load my bow buck on a deer carrier by myself. It took awhile I was full of blood trying to lift it up and a still have a scar from a tine poking into my leg. I now have a slide made for it. Oh and does are no problem.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM

No disrespect intended. In fact, much of the deer herd in my home state of Georgia has its roots in a trade worked out in the early 60's when GA live trapped Eastern Wild Turkey and traded them to Wisconsin for Whitetails, which were released in a number of counties in Ga. The size and quality of Ga's present herd has its roots in those early stockings. I was President of the GA Sportsmans Federation at that time and I'll never forget watching those magnificant animals exit the trailers and hitting the woods of their new home. Every county that received those deer were closed to hunting for 5 years. First hunting year hunting results were amazing. QDMA now shows Ga as number 5 in the number of whitetails harvested in the last few years.