Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn't allow rifles...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
PUBLISHER

When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles...

I researched the latest technology available in blackpowder guns. Those things can really shoot long these days. I decided on a Specialty Handgun instead but for a "shotgun" county they work really well to reach out there.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles...

Len,

Buddy do I have some pics for this NEW colum...Give a couple days...and unstand that I still have a 24k connection! I like this new breakdown. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles...

Len, check out the smokeless savage 10ml and the nula's - newultralight.com

Melvin makes some incredible muzzleloaders.

Once you go smokeless......
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles.

Wildcatter

I bought a blackpowder gun in 1999 and shot a 165 class mulie in Kansas during a BP only season. That gun was never used again until last fall when my son used it to kill a nice whitetail in Wisconsin in that rifle-less county I mentioned. He just absolutely loved the experience.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

I first got into archery and muzzleloading to expand my seasons. Turned out to become a passion. I bought a knight disc extreme about 5 years ago and just picked a savage 10ml-II. Haven't shot the savage yet, but I have many friends who love'em. I was thinking about the NULA myself, but with only a 1 week ML season, its a bit of overkill...But, I'll probably still get one after I finish my latest rifle project.

The best part about archery and ML seasons is the fact that I can be in the woods without all the weekend warriors. Archery gives me over a 1 month headstart on gun season, and it the best chance for a good buck. Everyone wants to be in the rifle areas, often times the shotgun, archery, or ml only areas hold some good animals. There is a 17,000+ acre piece or public property near my house with a small 100-200 acre archery only area across the road. Its my thanksgiving morning secret spot. There are hundreds of guys chasing deer right to me.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Ok Len,

I promised M/L pics these aint much but has a good story.
Florida M/L season extends into mid Feb. I loaded up and went home for a weekend hunt(FL born and raised). Ive been hunting Eglin AFB most my life. I got my first M/L when I was 9 so thats 25 years of it. First one was a T/C Renegade then a white mountain carbine, Rem700, T/C Black diamond these days its an Encore. Anyway more stories and history later....

I shot this 6 pnt 67 yards sitting in a chair hidden in a palmetto patch. The rut was on and I had been watching a doe for about 15 mins and lost sight of her. Id say 20 mins later she reappeared and countinued feeding. After another 5-10 mins the buck came over the hill and she had all of his attention. The area I was in was open but at 60-70 yards it was getting a little thick. After I was sure he was legal(must have 3 pnts on one side) I found myself looking for an opening pretty hard. As his left shoulder entered my spot I sqeezed it off...nice big puff of smoke and I saw him stumbling as he ran off. Im thinking real hard now why didnt he just pile up? Needless to say he only went about 40 yards. The first pic is the reason he didnt pile up. The second is the bullet entry. And the third well thats Dell however the buck you see Dell holding is another buck the 6 point behind them is the tree buck. Ill get a better pic of him soon I have them their just on a different computer.

Anyway this was a good day!

I think the vertical x hair was blocking the tree....deer was standing about at Dell's left knee.

That's an entry!

The bullet was a 50 cal 295gr Barnes TMZ!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Ok there is his pics!

While Im at it heres a couple hogs! I took opening day of M/L.

While Im still at it and feeling good!...You all remember this guy? M/L ...thats pretty much it for 2007 and the M/L 5 out of 6 animals for the year .50 ENCORE!

Opp! about forgot this lil guy!

Thats it!!