Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

What can I do to this gun to make it stretch out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM

What can I do to this gun to make it stretch out ?

Without getting too deep in the wallet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a CVA optima elite 50cal. It's inline, 209 primer, break action, and capable of magnum charges (CVA says 150 grains of pellets) in a 26" factory barrel. The twist is 1 in 28". It is stainless, of course, and has a thumbhole stock. Nothing is custom, this thing is as factory as it gets.

I want to get as much lethal range as possible with this gun on Midwestern deer.

I've been using 295gr Powerbelt bullets and 150gr Triple 7 pellets.

What can I do to this gun to make it stretch out without getting too deep in the wallet? And when complete, what will the lethal range be?

Stainless Man
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What can I do to this gun to make it stretch out ?

go to www.prbullet.com and look at their mods.

Worked on my encore.

BH
Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

If you can use optics where you hunt, buy a good scope. Get one with target knobs or some type of reticle with different marks on it. Figure out your bullet drop at different ranges, then practice a lot. I'm comfortable out to 200 yds with my Encore.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 PM

I just put on a nikon omega muzzlelaoder scope a few days ago. Not sighted it in yet but I've heard good things about the ease of use and the eye relief. It has the bdc reticle and finger adjustable windage and elavation knobs so I can dial or use the reticle or both.

I also talked to a guy at PR bullets (Thanks for the suggestion Bounty Hunter). He says 300yds is reasonable but I could tell his insurance doesn't allow him to say much more. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A hunting buddy (the most dangerous creature on Earth)[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] at my local shop tells me to go with the PR bullet and 150gr of FFFg loose powder. Says he got about 2250fps with this load last year.

I'm going to give it all a try. Its a good excuse to go to the range. Besides, I need something to shoot while I wait on the 300 win mag to cool.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

PR normally recommends 777 so I would have some of that on had too.

BH
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

Use loose 777 for better ignition!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

If the 195gr Duplex Dead Center will shoot in your gun, go with that. If not, try the heavier .40cal DC bullets. The only problem with these bullets is that they have no jacket....I have tried in multiple guns to push them fast and without exception groups open up at between 1800 and 2000 fps. My Omega will not shoot them period.

If they won't work, go with the .40 cal 200gr Shockwave. Short of the .357 DC it's the flattest shooting bullet I've seen. I shoot it over 110gr FFg 777 in my Omega.

The scope will be vital. I could not afford a tactical scope for a ML when I set up my long range open field gun so I got a Leatherwood ML scope that adjusts to range by dialing the back of the scope up on a cam. It took 200 rounds to get the scope set up well, but now I can "dial up" out to 350 yards. A little extra hold-over and the gun has proven accurate to 400 yds. So far my longest kill has been 272 yards, hit within 2 inches of my intended point of impact and dropped her on the spot.

Break-opens can be hard to accurize...I agree PR is a good place to look for help with that.