Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Volume vs Weight measuring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Volume vs Weight measuring question

I'm Shooting blackhorn 209 powder and decided to try and weigh the loads, blackhorn says 120 grains of volume equals 84 grains on a scale, well I loaded up 20 charge tubes at 120 volume and put them on a scale and they averaged 92 grains, loaded up 20 more charge tubes weighed at 84 grains and they are only about 105 grains in my volume measure ... question is what should I go off of? Want to shoot max loads and like the consistency of weighing each load of the volume measurements
Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Volume vs Weight measuring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrman View Post
I'm Shooting blackhorn 209 powder and decided to try and weigh the loads, blackhorn says 120 grains of volume equals 84 grains on a scale, well I loaded up 20 charge tubes at 120 volume and put them on a scale and they averaged 92 grains, loaded up 20 more charge tubes weighed at 84 grains and they are only about 105 grains in my volume measure ... question is what should I go off of? Want to shoot max loads and like the consistency of weighing each load of the volume measurements
The BH 209 charge tube 120 gr (volume) level is equal to 125 gr(volume) in my
TC powder measure....which equals 91 grs(weight) on my scale..
I have settled on that charge weight with no signs of excess pressure In MY Encore.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Sparkman ... thought I was loosing my mind last night, I had 2 electronic scales going and 3 different volume measure out checking it with all 5, the 209 charge tubes at 120 grains where 125 grains in my other 2 measure tubes.

How do you check for pressure signs with a muzzleloader? This for the most part is all new to me. Here in Idaho we have to use loose powder with musket or #11 caps so I can't use the blackhorn and we also have to use solid lead bullets and no sabots, I've always just shot 90 grains of FFG with a 385 grain conical.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Silver Member

I shoot only weighed charges of BH209. There's no requirements that any manufacturer of volume measures has to meet. In other words, there's no industry standard. This presents a significant problem to shooters in some instances. Regardless of the volume measure or manufacturer, there can be significant differences in the amount different volume measurers will throw. I've had volume measures that were just down right DANGEROUS. One I had measured 30grs light. In other words, if I were going to shoot a max load of 150grs and used that measure, it actually threw the equivalent of 180grs! I've NEVER trusted them.

There is information out there about how to properly convert any propellant to weight, and all use different ratios. I know there's one for T7 but, I can't remember it. I may have it someplace on the bench. However with Blackhorn its pretty easy, as they provide you the conversion number of .7 and it becomes mathematical and easy to convert.

I weigh my BH209 charges to 75grs. by WEIGHT, which equals 107.1grs volume. If I can find the T7 conversion, I'll post it.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

I'm using blackhorn charge tubes you'd think they'd match up to the conversion better. 84 grains weighed which they say is suppose to be 120 grains volume only shows up as 105 grains in there volume tube. 120 grains in blackhorns charge tube equals 91 grains on my scales
Old 09-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Think that's bad...... now you can understand the differences when using pellets. The "casual hunter" with muzzleloaders are probably just fine shooting pellets. However if you want to shoot accurately, long range and the smallest groups possible, then one is better off IMO weighing each charge of loose propellant. I've seen rifles that a difference of just 5 grains, would make the difference between a 4" group and a 1" group.

Just if you're going to shoot by WEIGHT, follow the manufacturer's recommendations and conversions.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Played with pellets when I first got into shooting this gun went from 3 inch groups at 100 yards to all shots touching at 100 when I switched to blackhorn, last year all i did was volume measure, picked up an electronic powder dispenser this year and figured I'd shoot out a punch of charges with it, way faster than measuring each one. I had it set up for my brother and all shots where under 100 yards when he was hunting with it, headed to Utah in 2 weeks for Muleys and want to shoot it farther than that. First time I'm personally using a muzzleloader where I can use all modern stuff, trying to suck all the accuracy I can out of it