Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Volume vs weight 777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Re: Volume vs weight 777

I second the suggestion that you trash the 777 and go to BH 209. Its cleaner, more consistent and really performs well. The BH209 web page contains sugested loads for a wide variety of bullets and a lot of other valuable info. such as suggested primers etc. They also sell charge tubes calibrated for BH 209 by volume to avoid any issues about overloading etc. I have 3 Knights, a Disc Elite, a Master Hunter and a Long Range Hunter all 50 Cal and all using bare primer conversions. I have tried almost all the saboted bullets on the market except for Knight's new Bloodline. I hunt west Texas where 150 yd plus shots are the norm rather than the exception. For this year I'm using 2 different loads. I use 110 gr. by volume BH209and a CCI 209M primer for both. One load is Hornady's 300 gr. SST and either MMP's or Hornady's 3 pedal easy load sabot. For the other, that I just use in my LRH and I use Harvester' s 300 gr PT Scorpion and their black crush rib sabot. I can routinely count on a sub MOA 3 shot group at 100 yds with all 3 rifles. Best group to date .297 inches. Both bullets do a great job on WT deer and the occasional Axis or Fallow we see on the lease. I use the 300gr over the 250 gr bullets because of a better Ballistic coefficient and better retained enegy down range. I sight in all by riflrs at 3" high at a 100 yds and that keeps me at point of aim out to 175 yds.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

I thought I read somewhere that you have to have a special breech plug and primer to reliably set off BH209. Is that true? If so where could I get one? Or would it have to be special made?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you have to have a special breech plug and primer to reliably set off BH209. Is that true? If so where could I get one? Or would it have to be special made?
I believe you stated you have an Optima? Well CVA has behind the ball on propellants for a long time and still are.....

You can buy a replacement breech plug for your CVA to shoot BH209.... and it requires it. I think you can buy them right from Western (BH209).