Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Ultimate Muzzleloader......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post

Totally understandable, at least everything but the last part. My Pro Hunter has served me very well and in most cases and most days, it does exactly what its designed to do.

BP is the only way I've hunted for probably the last 25 years, except for one season I took a doe with an old Marlin Model 1881 in 40-60 and when going to Saskatchewan, I take a centerfire. Muzzleloading gets in shooters blood and once you build your confidence in them over the years, some of us want more or a change. I try to make it fun and enjoy what capabilities I have left....
I may use the wolf during our regular firearms season depending on which propertys im huntin, but as i drive a semi and our cf season is 2 weeks to kill a buck and 2 weeks to kill does and i never know when im gettin home, i always end up with left over tags...i almost always am home from Christmas till new years so why not muzzy hunt?!

Hows you eye deal goin?

Hyjack over
Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ultimate Muzzleloader......

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
Hows you eye deal goin?

Hyjack over
Much different. Although the right eye detachment and tear was pretty evasive, recovery from this left eye surgery is taking longer and a bit more painful....

Thanks for asking........
Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Bronze Member

You'll be happy with it for sure. I've been shooting Ultimate's for over 10 years now and have over 70 big game kills with one. Nothing on the market shoots as clean and as easy as an Ultimate, period.

My go to load is the 275gr Fury behind 3 white hot pellets. My farthest shot was a Whitetail at approx 450 yards and I've killed over 25 deer and antelope at 300+ yards. I've personally seen 600yd kills with one. Just like any rifle it takes practice and learning your dope to be proficient at 300+ yards.

300 yards and under I don't even hesitate to take a shot when the opportunity arises.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post
You'll be happy with it for sure. I've been shooting Ultimate's for over 10 years now and have over 70 big game kills with one. Nothing on the market shoots as clean and as easy as an Ultimate, period.

My go to load is the 275gr Fury behind 3 white hot pellets. My farthest shot was a Whitetail at approx 450 yards and I've killed over 25 deer and antelope at 300+ yards. I've personally seen 600yd kills with one. Just like any rifle it takes practice and learning your dope to be proficient at 300+ yards.

300 yards and under I don't even hesitate to take a shot when the opportunity arises.
Which scope do you currently have mounted on your Ultimate?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJohnson View Post

What scope do you prefer on your Ultimate?

Ken's finishing up rifles for SCI now with my build starting when he's finished. When the snow drops and the weather clears, I'll be making the trip
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

Currently run a 4.5-14 Leupy LR with M1 BDC turret. Going to go with the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 in mil/mil to match my other rifles. Getting away from MOA and going to Mils on everything.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Ken's working on mine right now and he is putting a Leupold VX-6 with the firedot reticle and his turret as we speak. He told me it is his favorite setup and his guys at the Nationals are using the same. He is pretty serious about his muzzleloaders, I am really happy he's doing a build for me. Can't wait to see the end product.