Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

Ultimate Muzzleloader......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Ultimate Muzzleloader......

Anyone shooting one and if so, are you still following the recommended pellet/bullet loading?

I only know of one shooter who is shooting BH209 and another bullet make. I'm getting close to actually ordering one.........

Living in a state where smokeless isn't legal, I'm looking for a longer range muzzleloader that's designed to shoot substitutes. Yes... I know some smokeless rifles will shoot substitutes but, bullet choices are extremely limited.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ultimate Muzzleloader......

Placed the order today. McMillan thumbhole stock and SS with a muzzle break.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

to pricey for what it is IMO.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
to pricey for what it is IMO.
Take into consideration the amount of money a shooter spends on other top quality rifles, such as an Apex or Encore platform rifle, then try to shoot groups at 500yds like the Ultimate is capable of. The story ends right there. You can't get the range and accuracy from any other muzzleloader unless you go smokeless, which is illegal in many states, especially for the designated muzzleloader season.

The one thing you won't find, is an Ultimate owner who isn't completely happy with the rifle. The owners that I know just tell you, "It does exactly as advertised." Its long range capability and accuracy is well documented. Also shooters are experimenting with BH209 and different bullets, other than the recommended Fury (Parker) bullets. They're having identical results as far as accuracy and range.

The Johnston patented breech plug system has had the rights purchased by Remington, who will be coming out with its new muzzleloader sometime this summer. It won't have the WL barrel and is expected to have a Remington production barrel. Other than it being known that Remington will be coming out with a new rifle based on the Ultimate breech system, nothing else is known about it or, they won't let it out. So someone (Remington) has been paying attention to what Ultimate has been doing.

Pricy? Right, its not cheap but neither is any quality custom rifle being made. You can spend $250 or $800 on a production muzzleloader and you end up with a 200yd rifle and if you're lucky, it'll be accurate to that range. However one thing you won't end up with, is a rifle capable of shooting little groups at 500yds. Its just another step.......
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

I really like them, but they are running white hot and I think the 275 grain bullet leaves the muzzle at 2400. I'd like to see the speed a bit higher. Smokeless is what I am looking at.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Smokeless guys like speed no doubt and I have nothing against smokeless or smokeless shooters but...... the fact remains that smokeless IS NOT legal in Michigan's designated muzzleloader seasons and according to the DNR and Commission reports, it won't be.

I looked heavily into a smokeless build and talked to both Luke and Bill about them. After all the research and discussions, the exceptionally few bullet choices, wool wads, knurling bullets, then weighing in the fact that smokeless can not be used during our muzzleloader deer seasons, the choice was very evident, the Ultimate.

I watch and follow the smokeless guys and review some of their targets. Well the speed will stretch out the distance but, most of the 100yd targets I see can be matched with a T/C Pro Hunter or Apex shooting BH209. An Ultimate, shooting "smoke belching pellets" shot less than a 3.75, 5 shot group at 500yds at the last meet. That's pretty impressive for a "smoke belcher" and without going smokeless, you won't find another muzzleloader that can match it consistently.

That said, I believe it can be easily understood why I picked the Ultimate over a smokeless and, for $2,500 I believe I could have had one hell of a smokeless rifle. Its easily recognizable that smokeless vs substitute shooting is picking up where recurve/compound and percussion/inline debates left off. I support smokeless shooting and wish it was legal in MI but, its not going to happen any time soon, if ever.

So when we get rid of this 4' of snow and single digit temps, I'll make the trip to pick up the new Ultimate. After a year of shooting it, I should be able to determine what the rifle will actually do, but more important what I can do with the rifle. Its a whole new adventure with a completely different type muzzleloader. I haven't mentioned it to the wife yet (don't dare) but, a new scope has to be upcoming too!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

a smokeless rig shooting BH209 IMO is the better way to go than being stuck with pellets.