Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

The ULTIMATE MUZZLE-LOADER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The ULTIMATE MUZZLE-LOADER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
SNIP.

And you still haven't answered MY QUESTION about why.....SP won't deliver the low SDs as compared to blackpowder!! And IMO....you don't know nearly as much as you'd like others here to think you know!!
Very strange reply indeed!

I read your prior post and you made a declarative statement concerning BP vs SP, I saw no question at all and certainly no specific question aimed at me for an explanation....if I missed it please point it out!

As far as what I think people know about me, I would assume that it is very little.

If you would like me to explain my BP knowledge, it is virtually non existent! I will say now and for the record that I have never fired BP, ONLY BP Subs...including the first BP sub....smokeless powder!

I have built several smokeless muzzleloaders in 3 different calibers.
I rarely ever use commercially bought sabots and prefer to either shoot sabotless with modern jacketed bullets or to shoot rifle bullets in sabots that I make myself.

These are my 45 caliber sabots with 150 grain .308 Nosler Accubond bullets:

and here is a cutaway view with a 250 grain .338 Accubond :

These sabots are machine rifled to fit my barrel.

Now as far as Rosie is concerned, your personalities would appear to well suited

edge.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
Very strange reply indeed!

I read your prior post and you made a declarative statement concerning BP vs SP, I saw no question at all and certainly no specific question aimed at me for an explanation....if I missed it please point it out!

As far as what I think people know about me, I would assume that it is very little.

If you would like me to explain my BP knowledge, it is virtually non existent! I will say now and for the record that I have never fired BP, ONLY BP Subs...including the first BP sub....smokeless powder!

I have built several smokeless muzzleloaders in 3 different calibers.
I rarely ever use commercially bought sabots and prefer to either shoot sabotless with modern jacketed bullets or to shoot rifle bullets in sabots that I make myself.

These are my 45 caliber sabots with 150 grain .308 Nosler Accubond bullets:

and here is a cutaway view with a 250 grain .338 Accubond :

These sabots are machine rifled to fit my barrel.

Now as far as Rosie is concerned, your personalities would appear to well suited

edge.
I've stated all I intend to say on this subject!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Bronze Member

Do you have an Ultimate Muzzleloader? Looks amazing on the web site. I spent less than that on most of the cars I've owned.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

I don't drink beer, whiskey or smoke cigs, don't fish or take expensive trips to Canada hunting! I hunt on local land and shoot rifles!! I started investing my $$$$ in rifles and loading equipment in 1948, worked my arse off for 40 years flying ag planes and didn't spend everything I made....much like the 'younger set' does today! As for the cost of the Ultimate Rifle....I learned a long time ago that every time I tried buying cheap....it wound up costing me double...so I learned to pick what I configured as QUALITY and buy once!

That pretty much ought to clear your question up!

Last edited by RMulhern; 01-08-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Additional info!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

Good habits Sharpsman, except maybe for the not fishing. Although it would save me a lot of money if I didn't. I've lived cheaply most of my life and was able to retire early. I will pay top dollar for quality, but I have to be convinced I'm getting what I pay for, because I can't afford to do it all the time. Too often, you don't get what you pay for. That's why I asked about whether you had an Ultimate. I've surfed a lot of forums over the years and it is amazing how many people have opinions about things that aren't even on the market yet. One reason I belong to this forum; you can feel the experience.

I'm impressed with the sabots, can I buy some? I've toyed with shooting .358 bullets in the Precision Rifle duplex sabots, but didn't get good accuracy with the bullet I used. I purchased a partial box just to see if they'd fit. They fit down the barrel fine, but I wondered if they stabilized correctly with the 1:28 twist. The 195 grain .357 bullets shoot fine.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

sharpsman I have to say you missed the boat on never fishing. In my honesty I nearly gave up hunting because fishing can be catch and release or catch and eat . I wouldnt reallly give up hunting but I hope you give fishing a try.I know what you tried to say with the expensive gun and 2 each his own I have a knight wolverine and it shoots good so why change. Like you said you like to buy higher end items and knothing wrong with that. I make custom knives and everyone has a limit with everything they purchase. kellyw