Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloader Hunting Techniques For Muzzleloader Hunting

The ULTIMATE MUZZLE-LOADER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
SNIP

Blackpowder is the MOST ACCURATE powder in the world! Bar none!

SNIP

I must be looking in the wrong places! I never realised that all of the Benchrest records were with Black Powder! Who would have thunk-it !!

edge.

PS the Savage plug is as long as it is to get past the Barrel Nut. I have modified my breechplugs with a countersink that is about 0.800 deep which reduces the flame travel considerably.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM

I will stick with my TC it shoots 1-1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100yrds and 3-3.5 inch groups at 200yrds and it only cost 600.00.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Sharpsman, let me give you some "facts" about the Savage, muzzleloader. I think I am more than qualified to give you the "facts" as I am the one who invented, patented, and worked with Savage to market it.

First of all, the breech plug is as long and short as it needs to be. Like edge said, and he has much more experince with the Savage 10ML-II than you ever will, the breech plug is long enough to get the powder charge area past the threads of the barrel nut, for maximum strength. The original 10ML, used a percussion module, that fit into a chamber in the breech plug. The 10ML-II kept the original specs of the 10ML breech plug, but did away with the module. The vent liner was designed to limit the amount of pressure and prevent excess pressure from blowing back into the module and/or primer.

As far as inconsistant ignition, goes in 17 years of shooting this exact same style breech plug, I can count the ignition failures on 1 hand, and still have enough to spare to pick my nose. The 1.5" breech plug works as designed and if one is at least 10% smarter than a lug nut, one will have 100% reliable ignition. Use the correct primers, the correct powders, and the correct sabot/bullet combination, you can hunt from the Artic to the Equator, with zero igniton failure. Drop the firing pin on an unloaded Savage 10ML-II, with just a Federal or a Winchester 209 primer inserted and you will see the flame out the end of the 24" barrel. You cannot tell me that the breech plug is to long and the flame is not getting to the powder charge. The 55,000+ rounds of smokeless powder muzzleloading, tells me you are blowing smoke on this subject.

The assinine qoute that BP is thge most accurate powder ever invented, may have been true prior to 1891. Like Edge said, if that were true every benchrest shooter in the world would be shooting it. As far as battleships use it, they as well as field artillery, use a BP booster charge on the base (the Red Pad) of the main powder increment. It is just to aid in the ignition of the main smokeless powder charge.

To WSmitty01, I hate to break it to you, but you are dead wrong. In fact the total opposite is true, in that every year more and more states are allowing the use of smokeless powder in muzzleloaders.

That all I have for now. Let me know if I can clarify anything else. Out here.

Bill Ball
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Edge, I didn't know you were here. Bill, Welcome! I still keep tabs on Dougs and the SM forum, and still have the MLI's and II's, but I'm leaning towards longer range shooting. I still use the Savage when the seasons permit, and I wouldn't have gotten into shooting a muzzleloader if it weren't for the Savage and smokeless powder.

Edge, the breechplug is still working just fine!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM
PUBLISHER

It sounds like we have some guys who know what they are talking about. Great!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

Well, sorta....;) Maybe Edge will enlighten us on shooting the kitchen sink out of his Savage.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Just to add 1 more thing concerning whether rifles are allowed during ML season, many States that don't allow smokeless also don't allow non percussion cap priming, must use all lead bullets, must have open ignition.

In those States the Ultimate would also not be legal, regardless of powder used.

edge.